Abu Svangsta 333, How old is it...???

The ABU Reels forum.
Tincatez
Stickleback

Abu Svangsta 333, How old is it...???

Post by Tincatez »

Hi Folks,

After an afternoon of doing a strip and clean and new line onto my favourite Abu reel,as I was going through the motions of greasing up the gearing with some reel X, it got me wondering as to just how old this reel is....

The details are as follows: Abu Svangsta 333, serial number, 120600, it's the one that has the hammered 2 tone grey/silver paint finish, and the "wind off" spool, it also has the original reel handle .... which I have swopped out for an alloy Abu Svangsta 444 handle.... as I find it just that little bit more comfy for cranking.... as I have large hands...lol.....

I have to say that it's a crackin reel and has seen some work... its not a posh parade item but it just keeps on going.... I tend to give it a clean up and wipe down one year and then do a full strip and clean. regrease the following year... and it's been my bankside friend for over 20 yrs....

So, just to put me out of my misery..... being born in 1965..... is my reel my younger or older brother...??????

I'm guessing my younger brother..... but have no idea of age....

Thanks in advance.... Tez....

Duckett
Tench

Re: Abu Svangsta 333, How old is it...???

Post by Duckett »

From the paint work you describe, if it has an "ABU Svangsta 333" label, it sound like a 1st version of the reel so 1967 I believe.

Superb reels, so long as you find out how to take the spool off!

I don't know the opinion of others here but I have found this site reliable on ABU reels (judging by other sources, it's more reliable than the Mitchell Reel Museum site is on Mitchell's): http://www.reelstown.com/pag_mod_abu/fi ... sta1st.htm
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Tincatez
Stickleback

Re: Abu Svangsta 333, How old is it...???

Post by Tincatez »

Hi Duckett,

Thanks for the link and answer, as you say its a very good reel, and I have had no issues with it at all.... on saying that.... having around 20 plus...of the various Abu reels I have always found them to be super reliable and superbly engineered.... and far better than the other reels available from the same period...Thanks again.... I shall be wetting the new line in the morning.... Tez

Return to “ABU Reels”