ABU CARDINALS for Carp fishing

The ABU Reels forum.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

ABU CARDINALS for Carp fishing

Post by Tonytoned »

Hello Everyone

Does anybody on the forum that owns an ABU Cardinal use it like a glorified baitrunner when fishing for carp, releasing the tension underneath the reel, so the spool becomes quite free running? Obviously re-adjusting when you have a fish on.

This is just out of interest. Thank you for your time

:Hat:

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: ABU CARDINALS for Carp fishing

Post by Olly »

Yes!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I have used 66's and a 77 for a lot of my barbel and carping and yes, I have slackened off the clutch bait runner style. However, no two Abu's seem to have the same tension on their clutch and the numbered gauge is a waste of space. I just slacken until it feels right and then put my hand over the spool to strike or lean into a running fish, I quickly wind the clutch up to a fairly light setting and play the fish off that along with some light finger pressure on the edge of the spool. It can seem fiddly but it is very satisfying.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Olly wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:09 pmYes!
Thanks Olly :Hat:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Dave Burr wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:10 pm I have used 66's and a 77 for a lot of my barbel and carping and yes, I have slackened off the clutch bait runner style. However, no two Abu's seem to have the same tension on their clutch and the numbered gauge is a waste of space. I just slacken until it feels right and then put my hand over the spool to strike or lean into a running fish, I quickly wind the clutch up to a fairly light setting and play the fish off that along with some light finger pressure on the edge of the spool. It can seem fiddly but it is very satisfying.
Thank you Dave. That's interesting and very practical. I will try that on my next fishing trip.

:Hat:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

That was one reason I chose some older - 66 & 77 - reels as I had used it previously on my 55s.

Modern big spool reels don't always have the bait-runner facility, or costalotta, so I use the same on the front drag reels as well.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Olly wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:10 pm That was one reason I chose some older - 66 & 77 - reels as I had used it previously on my 55s.

Modern big spool reels don't always have the bait-runner facility, or costalotta, so I use the same on the front drag reels as well.
That's interesting Olly. I have the 40 as you can see, so I might try and pick up another one. "He says" ....

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

Yes Cardinal 66 my go to reels for carp, and I have a 40 I use for barbel

Mitch300
Roach

Post by Mitch300 »

I too use my 44 and 66 this way, but for a different reason. I do enjoy reading and bird-watching while fishing, and have been known to take the occasional nap at the bank side on a warm afternoon. I don't want my rod to be pulled in by an enthusiastic Cyprinus Carpio when I am not giving the bobbin my undivided attention, so I set the drag to almost nothing as a precaution. The older ABU Cardinals were so well engineered that they are still great reels for this kind of fishing.

G. B.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Fishing in this manner will impart twist into your mainline... I found this out whilst using this method on my Mitchell 400's... and its darned fiddly trying to do up the drag on a Mitchell in the middle of a tussle :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Return to “ABU Reels”