Closed face reels.

The ABU Reels forum.
Cat
Chub

Re: Closed face reels.

Post by Cat »

...a bit better than the k p morrits intrepid black prince I started with!

JohnRichards
Stickleback

Post by JohnRichards »

Reading this just reminded me that I still have a 508 (The cack handed version of the 507) which i have just dug out and it needs an overhaul. These were unquestionably the best trotting reel of their day if a centre pin was not suitable and were brilliant in strong wind when using an open faced reel would get you into all sorts of tangles. They did have their faults however, the worst one being fine lines of say 2.5lb getting trapped behind the spool which is not surprising as i always understood them to have been designed for pike and salmon spinning with heavier lines.

We used to get round this by aralditing some heavy line in a few places on the back of the spool and trimming it down. This worked reasonably well but you can now get spools to cater for the fine lines we used for trotting.

The other fault was was the drag was totally unsuitable for fine lines so we used to disable and play fish on the backwind which was fun.

The build quality is good and these reels will last a lifetime, a bit like old Mitchells.

I notice ABU have launched a modern version which i assume takes care of these faults but i assume build quality will be down.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

the new models has carbontex drags so are excellent for fine lines as the range of adjustment is much greater ,as said originally designed as spinning reels the drags design (friction pads) made suitable for 5-7lbs lines ,quite useless for finer lines by the time theyre set your 2lbs line would be long ago snapped .the modern ones have chenelle lined spools to prevent line going under/over the spools
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

Teifi Terror wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:21 pm I'm looking for information about Abu/Diawa closed face reels. The models and their year of production. I'm looking to buy a reel for trotting. I'd like to team it up with one of my 1960's rods. Can anyone help?
rods 12ft over = 507 larger reels the best fixed spool trotting reel ,get shallow spools for them .
rods under 12ft =506 /501 ,excellent light trotting reels

the 5o3 is a little odd one
505 best used as intended as a spinning reel

Teifi Terror
Minnow

Post by Teifi Terror »

Sorry for the late reply. thanks for the message. I now have one of each 506 507 501

Regards Peter.
Teifi Terror

Alone but not lonely, "

Moc Morgan OBE

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Nice one Peter you will love them.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

I can recommend doing this

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/ref/abu ... n-t51.html

it'll improve them no end ,making the line smoothly flow from the reels better.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Very useful. Thanks.

Mitch300
Roach

Post by Mitch300 »

The great Ivan Marks used to use an ABU 506 with his 13-foot Persuader rod (with its preferred soft-tip action) for trotting in 70's matches on rivers like the Trent. Get a `baker-boy' hat and you'll really look the part! Chavender's advice is spot on too.

G. B.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Mitch300 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:45 am The great Ivan Marks used to use an ABU 506 with his 13-foot Persuader rod (with its preferred soft-tip action) for trotting in 70's matches on rivers like the Trent. Get a `baker-boy' hat and you'll really look the part! Chavender's advice is spot on too.

G. B.
Linen cap for summer, tweed for winter sir! :Hat:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “ABU Reels”