Cardinal 40 'Model A' - can anyone tell me anything about it?

The ABU Reels forum.
Tengisgol
Barbel

Cardinal 40 'Model A' - can anyone tell me anything about it?

Post by Tengisgol »

I have acquired one of these in near mint condition, do we know when they were made and are they considered a good Cardinal?

Thanks in anticipation.

Tengisgol
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Luga00
Brown Trout

Re: Cardinal 40 'Model A' - can anyone tell me anything about it?

Post by Luga00 »

You now have a superb reel, Tengisgol.

In this thread I posted some schematics and reel info if you don't already have them.

viewtopic.php?f=214&t=26366

Russ

PeteD
Rudd

Post by PeteD »

The Cardinal 40 Model A is I understand a later version of the more common blue Cardinal 40. Same reel just different colour and number.

They are the economy Cardinals but still a great reel. The model A is a rarer reel than the standard blue one as it was only made for a short period I believe. 1978/1979?

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

PeteD wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:06 am The Cardinal 40 Model A is I understand a later version of the more common blue Cardinal 40. Same reel just different colour and number.

They are the economy Cardinals but still a great reel. The model A is a rarer reel than the standard blue one as it was only made for a short period I believe. 1978/1979?
I didn't know that, cheers for the info, Pete.
Russ

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

I owned and used a Cardinal 40 a few years back - caught a few doubles on it, before I sold it...If I recall, it had basic but reliable gears, a decent but not sensational clutch and, compared to a Mitchell 300, poor line lay. I think the spool was a little too narrow. I must admit, my first decent reel as a teenager was a Cardinal 444 - a kind of proto Cardinal - a tackle shop sold it off cheap, and so I could afford it....It was rather like the 40 in performance and feel - but line lay was better: and after that I coveted one of the top-level Cardinals - and eventually bought a 66 - a good reel, but a little too free running, if that's possible, and so I sold that too....I suppose I'm saying that, personally, I prefer the Mitchells....

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Thanks chaps - I quite like the look of it. Need to get attached to a few carp and give it a proper test!

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

The Cardinal 40A was an upgrade to the Cardinal 40, the original Cardinal 40 was blue and white in color, lots of plastic with thin blue and white paint to it, it also had monkey metal gears in it, the Cardinal 40 was released in 1975 and the 60 and 70 models came later in 1977-78, the 40A came in 1978 and was a much improved version of the 40, the black paint finish was good and the black plastic also didn't fade like the blue one did.
Abu also added a better machined main gear in the 40A which helped it be smoother and used the new ceramic type paint finish on the rotor cup.
There was also a change in the size of the sticker on the cover plate with the 40A being done in a gold color rather than silver.

There was 2 versions of the "A" series reels both reels identical accept for the paint on the rotor, the more rarer reel has Champagne paint finish on the rotor cup, fortunately I just managed to get a couple of them so when I get them in I will post the pictures, they are a rare reel to find while the black and tan ones are very much seen around today.

Another reel identical to the 40 60 and 70 A models is the ECO-S models, better known as the 140 and 160, only difference was the reel had a skirted spool design.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

PeteD
Rudd

Post by PeteD »

BeechmereLake wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:58 pm The Cardinal 40A was an upgrade to the Cardinal 40, the original Cardinal 40 was blue and white in color, lots of plastic with thin blue and white paint to it, it also had monkey metal gears in it, the Cardinal 40 was released in 1975 and the 60 and 70 models came later in 1977-78, the 40A came in 1978 and was a much improved version of the 40, the black paint finish was good and the black plastic also didn't fade like the blue one did.
Abu also added a better machined main gear in the 40A which helped it be smoother and used the new ceramic type paint finish on the rotor cup.
There was also a change in the size of the sticker on the cover plate with the 40A being done in a gold color rather than silver.

There was 2 versions of the "A" series reels both reels identical accept for the paint on the rotor, the more rarer reel has Champagne paint finish on the rotor cup, fortunately I just managed to get a couple of them so when I get them in I will post the pictures, they are a rare reel to find while the black and tan ones are very much seen around today.

Another reel identical to the 40 60 and 70 A models is the ECO-S models, better known as the 140 and 160, only difference was the reel had a skirted spool design.
Great information. Many thanks for posting that. It seems I was mistaken thinking it was the same as the earlier blue 40. I know I had read that somewhere but obviously it was not correct.

That's convinced me I want one in my collection. The search is on!

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I assume mine is the black and tan as opposed to champagne (that never lasts in my glass long enough to get a look at it!) and is probably better described as good to excellent not mint. Here it is anyway.

If it did turn out to be collectible, and someone was interested for their collection, I'd happily pass it on rather than kicking it about in my seatbox and messing it up.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

BeechmereLake wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:58 pm The Cardinal 40A was an upgrade to the Cardinal 40, the original Cardinal 40 was blue and white in color, lots of plastic with thin blue and white paint to it, it also had monkey metal gears in it, the Cardinal 40 was released in 1975 and the 60 and 70 models came later in 1977-78, the 40A came in 1978 and was a much improved version of the 40, the black paint finish was good and the black plastic also didn't fade like the blue one did.

Thanks Beechmere - I never knew the 40a was an upgrade - the 40 was OK, but nothing sensational, as I recall.

Return to “ABU Reels”