Jack Hargreaves

This forum belongs to Jack Hargreaves.
RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Jack Hargreaves

Post by RBTraditional »

Jack was such a wonderful countryman...I used to love "Out of Town" as a boy...now available on DVD....we always have a good laugh (cringe) when he gaffs a good pike from the Dorset Stour and hauls it up the bank! He'd get hung for that now! Ha!
I once met him with my dad in the Bull at Downton...I think he was filming down there and he had time for everyone...sadly missed.....proper country boy, not like those city, wanabe a countryman types you get on Countryfile these days...
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

RBTraditional wrote:Jack was such a wonderful countryman...I used to love "Out of Town" as a boy...now available on DVD....we always have a good laugh (cringe) when he gaffs a good pike from the Dorset Stour and hauls it up the bank! He'd get hung for that now! Ha!
I once met him with my dad in the Bull at Downton...I think he was filming down there and he had time for everyone...sadly missed.....proper country boy, not like those city, wanabe a countryman types you get on Countryfile these days...
He was certainly a character, and of a type much missed in these days of the instant soundbite and the necessity to conform to image stereotypes to be a successful TV 'personality', but I have my doubts about his countryman credentials. He was a city dwelling fleet Street journalist who happened to be around at the right time when TV took off - and with an interest in fishing and shooting was probably as well suited as anyone at the time to do the job - but there are glaring errors in his programmes which may well have resulted in a generation or two of viewers being unable (to take one example) to identify a pied wagtail. Oliver Kite's programmes for Southern TV were more educational, if less well produced, and it was a shame they were so shortlived (as was Ollie).

In case anyone takes this as an attack on Jack, rest assured it is not; my fondness for his programmes is immense, mainly for the many sequences of him clowning about on the bankside, trying to fish.

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

RBTraditional wrote:Jack was such a wonderful countryman...I used to love "Out of Town" as a boy...now available on DVD....we always have a good laugh (cringe) when he gaffs a good pike from the Dorset Stour and hauls it up the bank! He'd get hung for that now! Ha!

He used live in London for a considerable period of his life!

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Taken from the IMDb website
Jack Hargreaves (1911–1994)

Date of Birth
31 December 1911, London, England, UK

Date of Death
15 March 1994, Dorchester, Dorset, England, UK

Height
6' (1.83 m)

Spouse
Isobel Hatfield (1965 - 15 March 1994) (his death)
Jeanette Haighler (1932 - ?) (divorced) 2 children
Elisabeth Van de Putte (? - 1948) (divorced) 2 children

Trade Mark

His pipe and beloved tool-shed

Trivia

He had five children: two sons, Mark and Victor, with his first wife Jeanette Haighler; two sons, James (born 1946) and Edward (born 1947), with his second wife Elisabeth Van de Putte; and a daughter, Polly (born 1957), with his secretary Judy Hogg.

Did some training to be a vet in the early nineteen thirties but decided not to pursue this as a career.

Lived with Vogue journalist Barbara Baddeley from 1948-1963.

Was also the creator of the TV program, How. 1966

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I've just listened to the man himself, the original 1972 vinyl LP "Know Your Fish" having arrived in this morning's post. The memories it evoked ... Delightful ... simply delightful !!! I can now digitise it and listen to it often whilst keeping the original pristine in my LP collection.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

LadaMark

Post by LadaMark »

If members of this forum are also on Facebook, do join the Out of Town page (if you are not already a member). Also, get a copy of the biography of Jack and learn what a complicated man he was. He may have been born in London but he was a countryman through and through. You can also find recordings of all four OOT LP's on the OOT FB page as I managed to track down a copy of each, record them and up-load them for the benefit of all Jack fans. The Copyright of these LP's is owned by Jack's stepson, Simon Baddeley, who runs the FB page and kindly gave me permission to up-load them.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

ladamark wrote:If members of this forum are also on Facebook, do join the Out of Town page (if you are not already a member). Also, get a copy of the biography of Jack and learn what a complicated man he was. He may have been born in London but he was a countryman through and through. You can also find recordings of all four OOT LP's on the OOT FB page as I managed to track down a copy of each, record them and up-load them for the benefit of all Jack fans. The Copyright of these LP's is owned by Jack's stepson, Simon Baddeley, who runs the FB page and kindly gave me permission to up-load them.
Have you got a FB link Ladamark.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

LadaMark

Post by LadaMark »

Hi Mark. Yes I'm on FB. You will find me under Mark Smith based in Loughborough or if you are on the OOT page, you can track me down from there as I am an admin on this page.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

ladamark wrote:Hi Mark. Yes I'm on FB. You will find me under Mark Smith based in Loughborough or if you are on the OOT page, you can track me down from there as I am an admin on this page.
Thanks Mark I have just joined the OOT page. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

LadaMark

Post by LadaMark »

Excellent Mark!

Return to “Jack Hargreaves”