Speedia

The Speedia Reels forum.
Watermole+
Chub

Re: Speedia

Post by Watermole+ »

Dano41 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:22 am Hi has anyone taken the bush out and replaced it will it just press out?
The first reply by Wallys-cast to your initial post covers this perfectly..

By coincidence, I have just received a Speedia today which will require a new centre bush making so Wal's pictures will be very useful to me also.

Thank you Wal. :Hat:

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Dano41
Stickleback

Post by Dano41 »

To get the bush out I turned a drift in aluminium held it tight in the chuck and put a morse taper sleeve in the tail stock put the reel over the drift put the tail stock against the reel and turned the wheel and it pressed out very easly.Watermole if your doing the same there is a lip just above the catch in the bore top side which I presume is a lip for the boss to seat on.If you you turn the drift so it just passes this there is still enough meat on the drift to push out the bush.Final diameter on my drift was 6.22mm.

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good afternoon,If you are planning a full paint restoration the reel should look really good and give you a lot of satisfaction on bringing an old rundown reel back to life.Reelmaker

Aquaerial
Chub

Re: Maun Valley Wensum (Speedia type) reels..

Post by Aquaerial »

I have a number of these made by Garry Mills so open to offers of swaps to match up etc. If selling between ourselves can I suggest £410 for a soft cased mint example posted. Buyers and sellers can negotiate of course just a guide
Black Wensums 47,68 &73
Silver Wensums 9&10
Black Wensum Trotters 3,4&5
Silver Wensum Trotters 3,4 &5
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Spinner
Stickleback

Post by Spinner »

Hello all, I wonder if anyone can help me. I have a General Purpose Mk.2 Speedia (according to my friend Nobby) narrow drum reel and the centre "hub" and float end screw (like the pieces in your photos Wallys-cast) are missing. The reel itself is in great condition and I would really like to find these pieces to get it up and running again. I am really struggling trying to undertand how the hub stays in place and how it is fitted? I hope someone can help on here. Thanks
1000005000-01.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Spinner
Stickleback

Post by Spinner »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:58 pm Sizes as promised.
I'll let the pictures speak for themselves as far as the sizes go.
ImageImage
The taper on the inside is a match for the taper on the spindle. The thread for the grub screw only goes half way down the bore of the hub, the lower half is bored smooth and just large enough diameter bore to accept the tip of the spindle without binding.

The hub fits inside approx 7mm, dont go too much further in or it will bind on the spool release catch.
The grub screw is just under 5mm long and is threaded 6BA. The hub itself is made from what appears to be nickel silver (not plated as previously thought) and the grub screw is steel.

Don't forget to show us the results and if I were you I would make a few as you are sure to get a few requests. :Thumb:

Wal.
Hello all, I wonder if anyone can help me. I have a General Purpose Mk.2 Speedia 9according to my friend Nobby), narrow drum reel and the centre "hub" and float end screw (like the pieces in your photos Wallys-cast) are missing. The reel itself is in great condition and I would really like to find these pieces to get it up and running again. I am really struggling trying to undertand how the hub stays in place and how it is fitted? I hope someone can help on here. Thanks
1000005000-01.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Speedia Reels”