Speedia

The Speedia Reels forum.
Dano41
Stickleback

Re: Speedia

Post by Dano41 »

Reelmaker did you ever try the ball bearing on top of the spindle do you think it is worth the effort?

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good evening friends,I never tried putting a ball bearing on top of the spindle,I think I would have had to soft solder a ball into the shaft and put a point with a small radius on the screw, this seems a little extreme in the design with very little advantage.My approach was to put a polished radius on to a high carbon steel spindle and harden and temper the spindle ,a small point and radius on to a small grub screw which are heat treated and chemically blackened.Designing fishing reels can be a very interesting area,but the most enjoyable part is having a finished reel of your design being used on your favourite rod.

Dano41
Stickleback

Post by Dano41 »

High carbon steel is that the same as tool steel?Did you buy that steel already annealed and did you quench in oil to harden it?

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good afternoon,fellow friends,the carbon steelIn question was called silver steel and was supplied by the James Neil group origanally Stubbs silver steel,a machineable grade then needing heat treatment.Tool steel is preheated and hardened as I used it for lathe tools and would be impossible to machine,There are various other grades of tool steel that can be machined and heat treated but I have little knowledge of them.Hope this helps .Reelmaker

Dano41
Stickleback

Post by Dano41 »

Thanks for that reelmaker there is plenty of the silver steel on the auction site I'll order some.

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good morning ,I forgot to mention that the very end of the silver steel will be hand due to the cut off ,so you should saw off a 10 mm piece to stop you lathe tool getting damaged.Thank you Reelmaker

Dano41
Stickleback

Post by Dano41 »

More great information Reelmaker and it great that you are sharing it.Had three friends one a watch and clock repairer one a design engineer who was brillant at machine work aswell and one a silversmith.The silversmith is 78 now and has never had any sort of an apprentice or somebody learning from him.I learned so much from the three gentlemen.The other two are dead most of the knowelege died with them because they also had nobody learning from them an awfull shame.

Dano41
Stickleback

Post by Dano41 »

The reel finally arrived this afternoon rough but good for learning.On a new speedia how tight was the tolerance on the spindle and bushing?I have read that its difficult to remove the bush anyone done this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good evening ,Looking ar the reel I guess you will need a new centre bearing of phosphorus bronze anew centre hub that supports the item in question in this thread,proberly more work than originally discussed ,these reels are worth the extra effort as they are a firm favourite.Reelmaker

Dano41
Stickleback

Post by Dano41 »

Hi has anyone taken the bush out and replaced it will it just press out?

Return to “Speedia Reels”