Speedia - Any views ?

The Speedia Reels forum.
Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Re: Speedia - Any views ?

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Delaminated wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:02 pm Hi M.P.Image
I made up a basic Wallis casting kit but Mrs. T’s gardening planting regime prevents a good swing in a smallish suburban patch, but I managed up to @ 25 feet with a underarm lob.
Practise makes perfect, I will persevere for the satisfaction it will bring and be handy when I next go down to the Avon and Stour.
ps.
The pic. shows the drag on the Speedia.

Regards Tom.
Thanks. Until today I had no idea that there was such a thing. Definite improvement on my 'utility' model.

If you can cast 25 feet then you will have no problem doing 25 yards. It is usually the first part of the cast where things go wrong when the reel accelerates from standstill to high speed. That is where the over runs usually come in.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Olly wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:38 pm MP - We may often have varied and differing opinions - but no need to fight about it.

We both go fishing on different waters under different rules & regs in different countries - we both enjoy the sport in differing ways.
Olly, it isn't just me that has noticed that you seem to spend half your life trying to contradict or undermine anything I post. For example I put that there are no beavers near to here and you quickly point out that there are beavers somewhere near us which turns out to be four hours from here. i.e. not near us. I make a simple mistake in a post and you are all over it in minutes.

There are many other examples and it gets rather tedious.

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

Near 11 lb barbel on a wide drum & chub to 4lb plus on a narrow drum.

Lovely reels.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Speedias are good little reels but Fatty does like a Trudex, thinking, well sort of, that this is favourite centre pin.....preferably sans line guard!

The narrow drum Speedia does get a run out once in a while but the wide drum is too wobbly even for Fatty.

The Trudex, inherited from the greatest chub angler ever, after a strip down clean and rebending the shaft, is as good as it ever was.

Never got on with the Rapidex as it feels tight and enclosed, for some reason, probably in the Mole head but there it is.

That's my two Bob's Worth...

As ever, .....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I had a couple of Trudexes -- and could not get on with them for love nor money - - so I took the money! But kept the Flick'ems and Rapidexes.
Such is life - - we all have different choices!

I also have a wide and narrow Speedia - narrow for ledger - wide one for trotting.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Olly wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:20 pm I had a couple of Trudexes -- and could not get on with them for love nor money - - so I took the money! But kept the Flick'ems and Rapidexes.
Such is life - - we all have different choices!

I also have a wide and narrow Speedia - narrow for ledger - wide one for trotting.
Never thought of trotting with my wide spool speedia, do they trot well?
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I prefer a wide drum for trotting be it an Aerial, Speedia, Leeds or Stanton.
When I started in the '60s I was using a narrow drum and the line bedded in - possibly my fault for putting on a lot of line. Changed to wide and had far fewer probs! And stuck to wide drum ever since - and reduced the amount of line on the reel. A lot of my trotting was originally using 6lb line for barbel and heavy floats on the Kennet.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

The updated versions made by Garry Mills for Maun Valley Tackle seem to have sold out now....I have an original as well as a trotting version and whilst the feel is similar the function is infinitely smoother and I can see my Speedias getting confined to barracks in the future... Its a shame no more are being made as they were good value.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Return to “Speedia Reels”