Rebuild of my Sharpe Avon - questions

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
NorfolkTinca
Dace

Re: Rebuild of my Sharpe Avon - questions

Post by NorfolkTinca »

Liphook wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:34 pm It was common practice to rotate the guides precisely to avoid a droop or set was it not?
It's certainly the case, even with modern blanks, to set the rings on the outside of any curve - but not many modern coarse fishing blanks have alignment marks, of course, so you don't have the (very minor) dilemma I have with alignment marks. If I have to turn the tip 180 degrees, I'll do the same with the butt section too, but I'm more inclined just to leave the dots on the underside and accept that any droop is minor, won't affect its ability to cast or catch fish, and is part of it being an old rod.

Further update - I've cleaned the blank along its length, and used fine wire wool to remove what little varnish residue there was. The pale patches where the whippings were are still there - I'll photograph later. I have some red root oil that I think will sort them out, which I'm going to have to do unless I want either a patchy blank or to compromise on ring positioning to hide them. That always assumes that the cane will take the oil - it might not.

The one blessing is that the worst of the mis-positioning is on the butt section, and those rings - which never even got as far as being varnished - have been on for such a short space of time that no harm has been done.
My biggest fish is not necessarily my best

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

When my Carp was restored the male ferrule was replaced with a beautifully made exact replica and the tip turned. If you want to turn the tip can't you remove the male ferrule and replace the ferrule with the red dot on the underside. Saves turning the butt which presumably has at least some of the decals etc remaining?
The Split Cane Splinter Group

NorfolkTinca
Dace

Post by NorfolkTinca »

Beresford wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:36 am When my Carp was restored the male ferrule was replaced with a beautifully made exact replica and the tip turned. If you want to turn the tip can't you remove the male ferrule and replace the ferrule with the red dot on the underside. Saves turning the butt which presumably has at least some of the decals etc remaining?
I have wondered about turning the ferrule, but I've never done this before. What will I find when I take the whipping off, please? Are they glued in, or just held in place by being a good fit combined with whipping? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Regards the butt section, no, due to work done before my ownership, there's absolutely nothing remaining of the decal. I have a new "Scottie" decal ready for when it's all done, and I'm intending to paint the "Impregnated" (assuming it is!) and the other bits myself. There's also no mark where the reel has been, because the cork is brand new, so I have lots of options at that end.

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

NT

If I pm you my email address could you take a scan of the scottie decal as I have a rod currently enroute that's also missing the decals, and maybe I can get it reproduced.

Unless of course somebody on here knows where I can purchase these

Regards

GB

NorfolkTinca
Dace

Post by NorfolkTinca »

Gudgeon Basher wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:43 am NT
If I pm you my email address could you take a scan of the scottie decal as I have a rod currently enroute that's also missing the decals, and maybe I can get it reproduced. Unless of course somebody on here knows where I can purchase these

Regards
GB
Thanks GB, but I already have a Scottie decal. It the 'Impregnated' bit I'm going to have to paint by hand - and that's a lot of letters to get on half an inch of cane...

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

NorfolkTinca wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:54 am
Gudgeon Basher wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:43 am NT
If I pm you my email address could you take a scan of the scottie decal as I have a rod currently enroute that's also missing the decals, and maybe I can get it reproduced. Unless of course somebody on here knows where I can purchase these

Regards
GB
Thanks GB, but I already have a Scottie decal. It the 'Impregnated' bit I'm going to have to paint by hand - and that's a lot of letters to get on half an inch of cane...
NT

I was asking if you wouldn't mind making a scan or decent photo of the scottie decal that you have before its put on the rod so that I could maybe get it reproduced for my rod which is also missing both decals.

It's not a problem if you cant it was just a thought

GB

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

NorfolkTinca wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:20 am
Beresford wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:36 am When my Carp was restored the male ferrule was replaced with a beautifully made exact replica and the tip turned. If you want to turn the tip can't you remove the male ferrule and replace the ferrule with the red dot on the underside. Saves turning the butt which presumably has at least some of the decals etc remaining?
I have wondered about turning the ferrule, but I've never done this before. What will I find when I take the whipping off, please? Are they glued in, or just held in place by being a good fit combined with whipping? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Regards the butt section, no, due to work done before my ownership, there's absolutely nothing remaining of the decal. I have a new "Scottie" decal ready for when it's all done, and I'm intending to paint the "Impregnated" (assuming it is!) and the other bits myself. There's also no mark where the reel has been, because the cork is brand new, so I have lots of options at that end.

Ferrules are glued.

You'll have to be extremely skilled to hand paint a replica of the Impregnated decal, it's a pretty small detail right in tight to the handle. Personally I wouldn't even try. If you can't get decals for the elements you are missing I'd leave those areas blank incase you can get them in the future. That's what I did.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Gudgeon Basher I have some Scottie decals. PM me if you would like one

NorfolkTinca
Dace

Post by NorfolkTinca »

Gudgeon Basher wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:43 am NT If I pm you my email address could you take a scan of the scottie decal as I have a rod currently enroute that's also missing the decals, and maybe I can get it reproduced.
Of course - I'll await your PM.

NorfolkTinca
Dace

Post by NorfolkTinca »

Decision made - I'm going to leave the ferrules alone and accept how it is. It's only a tiny bit out, most of that is in the last 2-3ft of the tip, and I reckon there's more chance of me making it worse if I try to re-set the tip in the ferrules. Thanks everyone for your help on that aspect. In other news, the blank wouldn't absorb the red root oil (I thought it might not) but then I realised that the fact I'm going to fit high bell rings means that each will ring cover nearly 2" of the blank, as opposed to the 3/4" that was covered by the tiny (non-original) rings that have left their marks on the blank. Given that most of the tip section rings were in roughly the right place anyway, I reckon I'll be able to hide those marks when I position and whip on the new rings.

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”