Rebuild of my Sharpe Avon - questions

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Re: Rebuild of my Sharpe Avon - questions

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

NT

As I have already said, I am definitely no expert!!

That's got my disclaimer out of the way :Chuckle: I don't think an impregnated rod would have been varnished let alone stained (apart from a bit of clear varnish on the whipping) so I think your rod has definitely been refurbished at some stage in its life.

Unless the Avon rods were treated differently to the fly rods of course but I'm not sure why that would be the case.

GB

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

It is possibly an unimpregnated rod. A photo or two would help identify it. I have "J S Sharpe" rods in both versions and the Aberdeen made Carp and Avons were also available IMP and None IMP.

Wal.

NorfolkTinca
Dace

Post by NorfolkTinca »

I thought it wise to record all the ring spacings before I took them off. It is, in fact, only wise if I also completely disregard them when putting the new rings back on!

Butt to 2nd - 300mm
2nd to 3rd - 438mm
3rd to 4th - 260mm
4th to 5th - 235mm
5th to 6th - 222mm
6th to 7th - 230mm
7th to 8th - 230mm
8th to tip - 190mm

That 438mm gap, which is the one that includes the ferrules, is all the more remarkable for having spacings of 300mm and 260mm either side of it. :Confused:

However, it does raise this question: do some rods have a greater spacing across the ferrules to allow for their inflexibility? I had a modern(ish) 14ft match rod that had very irregular spacings near the spigots, but from what I recall, the gaps got smaller at the spigots.

Same exercise on another rod of mine, also 10ft, also 9 rings overall. Butt ring to tip is only about 18mm different between the two rods. Even this has its peculiarities between 3rd and 4th, but it's broadly progressive.

Butt to 2nd - 370mm
2nd to 3rd - 330mm
3rd to 4th - 322mm
4th to 5th - 325mm
5th to 6th - 263mm
6th to 7th - 203mm
7th to 8th - 157mm
8th to tip - 117mm

When I have rested my grey matter sufficiently, I'll plot the curves and share with you, assuming I haven't been blocked for excessive nerdiness.
My biggest fish is not necessarily my best

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Will do - give me a day.

Look a th'ebay for reel fittings - there should be some suitable as per the picture!

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

NorfolkTinca,

There is no such thing as a normal or standard Sharpes rod. There are so many variations of rings, handle fittings etc. that I wouldn't attempt to 'restore' it.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

:Hat:
I thought an Avon was a 10ft avon coarse rod - cork handle - sliding reel fittings - etc! Several companies have used the Sharpes logo - but only one "Sharpes of Aberdeen"!

After all it's not one of their many many variations of cane fly rods - or even a spinning rod!

NorfolkTinca
Dace

Post by NorfolkTinca »

Olly wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:21 pm Will do - give me a day. Look a th'ebay for reel fittings - there should be some suitable as per the picture!
Thanks Olly. I did indeed look on th'ebay and just bought a job lot of 60! Some look like exactly the right thing, so I will be nothing if not spoilt for choice - as will anyone else on here who needs a pair or ten. I probably paid a premium for the rare 20th century fossilised groundbait.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Whilst I've seen variations of both the Aberdeen built "Carp" and "Avon' rods I think there was a specification/appearance that was most common. The pair I have fit that most common group although my "Carp" has been recently restored with a different ring pattern to those originally used, except for the butt and tip rings that are the originals.

The variation I've seen a couple of times on the carp rod is the use of plain unlined butt rings like those used on some of the J. S Sharpe Spinning rods.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

NorfolkTinca
Dace

Post by NorfolkTinca »

Well the rings are off now, and I've had a look at the unweighted curve. It may very well be that a previous owner turned the tip 180 degrees, as the optimum position is with the red dot uppermost - but it's going back underneath when I put the new rings on. The rod may droop a tiny bit more, but not enough to worry about. There are indeed some pale patches under where the misplaced rings were, so that's something I'll need to deal with by one means or another.

Photos to follow over the weekend.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

It was common practice to rotate the guides precisely to avoid a droop or set was it not?

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”