J S Sharpe Avon.

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
Cat
Chub

J S Sharpe Avon.

Post by Cat »

Evening All,
I managed to pick up a Scottie Impregnated Avon for an extremely reasonable price. It was a bit of a gamble, and was intended as a project, but actually it's in excellent condition, apart from the intermediates (and I think I'll emery cloth these as the original whippings are lovely)...the butt and tip rings and all whippings are perfect.. There's a bit of sag, but no more than when turning through 90°, and I don't want to reverse the bells and not have the matching red dots.
Could someone help with dating please - 52 111 on the butt (I assume I shouldn't assume the obvious!?)?
And does anyone have experience of using one, (and how much sag is there)?
Finally, if I do decide to re-whipping, does anyone know the exact thread colour and where to purchase it please?
Regards and thanks Cat

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: J S Sharpe Avon.

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Why would you abrade the intermediates? Is the entire rod varnished?

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Re thread colour Fish hawk 'maroon' is a good match. I'm also told that Pro Wrap do a good equivalent.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

'Intermediates' was supposed to read 'intermediate bells'! Apologies for causing a cold sweat Nigel, I have no intention of rubbing down any intermediate whippings (there aren't any anyway)!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

That had me confused as well - still cannot find any on mine! :Scared:

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I have one in fine condition, the tip section droops a little under its own weight but I'd expect that.

Somewhere on here I've previously posted the information on dating a Sharpes rod. I can never remember it – basically the code gives month and year and also the actual rod number in the given month however, at some point in time they reversed the sequence. I think that may have been done in 1970. For example, your rod MIGHT be the 52nd made in November 1971 but do a search here for the actual information on how to date these rods.

EDIT this is incorrect – see the link posted below.

I don't know for certain how many they made but I seem to recall either reading or being told that it was about 400 of each ie 'Avon' and 'The Carp'. One collector I've spoken to has nine of them!
Last edited by Beresford on Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

That's the detail. So if I understand it correctly (and I'm never sure I do) this would make '52 111' to be Feb 1965 and the 111th rod of that month. That puts the rod precisely in the right period when we know they were made.

I must check mine again, I'm 99% sure one is 66 and the other 67.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thank you all Gentlemen... greatly appreciated. I'll have a proper look later. I'm currently engaged intimately with emery cloth and rings!

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi,
I think that makes sense Beresford, and wow, they only made 400 odd - so they are reasonably rare! Having had a really good study, the droop on the one I've acquired is naturally acceptable, and the only issue is 'To whip, or not re-whip? That is the question.' The rod itself is fundamentally excellent, it's just that on closer inspection the bells quite rusty.
Very whippy through action, but then I've been used to a MkIV, LRH No2, Carp Avon and The Ideal in the cane department...how do people find them to use, and I assume up to 6lb line?
Thanks Cat

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”