Aberdeen?

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
MikeB3
Stickleback

Aberdeen?

Post by MikeB3 »

I've just acquired a Sharpe's Scottie 13', lovely rod but also interesting in that, although it is in most respects identical to "The Aberdeen" (rings, reel seat, butt cap, Scottie dog and Impregnated labels, overwhippings on the ferrules etc., number indicating it was the 127th made in August 1976) it has odd features.

It does not have "The Aberdeen" or the length and line weight hand-written on it.
It has a single overwhipping on the lower foot of the stripping ring.
There are red "lining-up" dots on the top ferrule of the middle section and on both tip sections but not on the butt ferrule or its corresponding middle section ferrule.
There is a final coat of varnish short on the butt section whippings, not as smooth as the other sections.
I don't have another with which to compare the ring spacings but the first two are, in my honest opinion, in an odd position in that they don't fall on the same parabolic curve as the other ten. But if they were moved to follow the curve they'd be in very odd positions.

I wonder why. A reject that "escaped"? An apprentice piece? A foreigner? If any of these why the number? None of the above oddities is a reason for wasting a good blank. Mid and tip sections from a different rod? If so, whence the odd butt section?

I have the same situation with a box of Oertling balance weights - same elegant construction, lining, weights but slightly different size to the others and it doesn't have a slot for the tweezers or a number as all the others do. Why?

We may never know. Unless any of you do. About the rod at least.

Mike

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: Aberdeen?

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I have researched Sharpes rods of all types for several years. I quickly learnt that there were many variations between rods. Everything except the cane is likely to vary. I had two identical Sharpes "The Carp" but the fittings were unlike any of their 'normal' carp rods. They made rods to customer specifications. Don't worry about it, it's just a Sharpes thing :-)

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

If it is impregnated it should not be varnished. Perhaps a refurbishment?
You may find this interesting:
https://splitcaneinfo.com/wp-content/up ... system.pdf
Good luck and enjoy your new rod!
Best, Bobby

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

The first few inches of the butt section were varnished to protect the transfers etc. Photos would be nice.

MikeB3
Stickleback

Post by MikeB3 »

Gratifyingly prompt and helpful responses, thanks both.

Nigel, I wasn't very worried, even less now, just intrigued. Custom built or not, it appears to me that the butt section has got out unfinished.

BM, sorry I wasn't clear, the blank isn't varnished, but the whippings on the butt section look as though they need another coat.

Pics (all suffixed a because I had to reduce the originals.)
Butt 4000, 4002 Thread a bit obvious, compare mid-sect 4004 which is as shiny as all the others. Note also varnish overlapping onto the blank in the latter ones. but not on the butt. Some of the tents look as though they need a bit of attention too. Pity about the rust, will probably clean up enough to avoid replacement.
4001. What's that overwhipping doing on the stripping ring?
4003, 4010. All the ferrules are fine and overwhipped, top end has the red dots.
Getting too big, see next post.
4011, 4012. Reel seat and cork excellent.
4014. Just to prove it's all there.

contd.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MikeB3
Stickleback

Post by MikeB3 »

What I mean about the ring spacing is that if you plot the distance of each ring from the butt you get a parabolic curve as in blue on the graph. (Forget the ww, no idea where that came from.) The pink bits are as measured, the top ten lie nicely on the curve, give or take a bit of measurement inaccuracy, but the first two don't. The black points are where they would have to be to lie on the same line. All my rods (too many) do the same thing (with different coefficients), I don't have one, from a 13' Martin James via a 9'6" Pezon et Michel Parabolic to a 4'6" Paul Duffield (not a cane one, sshh), where the first two rings are so far out. Same with the glass P & M and the black shiny more common ones.

Well, I think it's all interesting. Should I get a life? Or go fishing?

What ever happens with the Scottie I'll make sure it catches a fish, though more likely a trout than a salmon.

Thanks again, I wish you tight lines, smooth varnish or whatever,

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

It all looks 'normal' Sharpes to me, lovely looking rod :-)

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Very nice rod indeed. Enjoy your fishing! Bobby

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”