My Dorset

The F. T. Williams Rods forum.
Danesman
Silver Bream

Re: My Dorset

Post by Danesman »

Tonkin Wand wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:36 pm Question.... the addition of the extension to the handle .... how much did you put on the rods overall length .. has this improved the balance of the rod; I guess it must be dependant upon the weight reel used and the mounting position... just curious... Tony
I increased the length of the handle by 10" to make it 30" overall which is only 2" longer than the handle on my Chapmans 550. The rod itself is now 12' 10" in lenghth. I will most likley pair the rod with either a Mitchell 410 or the Mitchell 2250RD which both weigh 330 grams this puts the point of balance approx 9" in front of the reel when the reels are mounted 3" from the front of the handle. I extended the handle by quite a bit knowing that I can reduce it later if it should feel a bit unwiedly in use. I may reduce the length but fit a lead counter balance inside the glass butt section to move the point of balance nearer to the reel. Will have to see how it feels after a day on the bank.
Pete

Return to “F. T. Williams Cane Rods”