13' Superliite Rod Fibreglass with a spliced split cane tip

The Lee & Sons Rods forum.
Penninelad
Arctic Char

13' Superliite Rod Fibreglass with a spliced split cane tip

Post by Penninelad »

I have just bought one of these on Ebay for £6.It is a a 3 piece rod with a spliced split cane tip section.Its in as new condition with a slight set in the split cane tip section,but this will not effect its use.Its well finished with lovely whippings and has had little use.I have not had a chance to use it but its a substantial rod

It may have been Superlite when it was made but I have obviously been using carbon rods too long as it seems a real bruiser.

Has anyone else on the TFF got one of these and uses it?
Mark Davies

Aitch
Pike

Re: 13' Superliite Rod Fibreglass with a spliced split cane

Post by Aitch »

I've heard of glass tips, but never the other way round...!
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

I think you will find it,s whole cane with split cane tip.. Look at the photo and you can see the step down on both the mid and tip section.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

It's definitely a a split cane tip unless they made hexagonal fibreglass! Can fibreglass get a set in it?I will try to post some photographs showing the tip and the splice.Please be patient as my computer skills are somewhat limited.
Mark Davies

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Penninelad, Sir ... Ljm183 is suggesting that the tip is split cane, but that the other sections are either whole cane or Spanish Reed, and not fibreglass ... similar in construction to the Fosters 'Trent.'

He shows pictures of one in this thread :-

viewtopic.php?t=8525
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I think you have cracked it.On closer examination the butt and middle sections are probably Spanish Reed.The rod is so true and the finish so good that I presumed it was fibreglass.Please excuse my ignorance but I have not seen a Spanish Reed rod for many years,although one of the rods I used in my youth was an Allcocks Gloria.The rod has its original stoppers and is spliced throughout.The rubber butt cap looks like a screw in one but is permanently fixed.
Mark Davies

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Having closely examined the photographs in the linked thread I can confirm its is one and same rod albeit with a different label."The Superlite" in an oval frame below which "Lee of Redditch Product".

I am finding the the TFF utterly fascinating.For the last 10 days I have had special leave from my work to stay at home and care for my wife.She broke her fibula and fibula schooling a young horse and has been completely immobilised.She will shortly have a new frame fitted and will be able to get around on crutches.So thanks TFF members for you knowledge and advice and for keeping me sane.I would of course prefer to be out fishing but browsing the TFF site is the next best thing and hope to meet some of you in person in the not too distant future.PM me if you want to join me on the waters edge.I am a Prince Albert member fishing for both coarse and game fish and spend a lot of time fishing the PAAS rivers( as well as others)including the Derwent,Sow,Dove and the Severn and its tributaries.I also fish local still waters principally for trout but also for pike( usually on the fly)

I have already made contact with "Hovis"and hope to fish with him shortly
Mark Davies

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

I have two such rods and find them a delight to fish with. Very light in the hand (made principally for match fisherman) though they may appear on the heavy side compared to carbon. May it give you much pleasure.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Glad to hear that You Good Lady is on the mend, Sir.

Makers like Lee often supplied rods 'wholesale' to retailers who would have their own transfers put on the rod (as 'supplied by,' etc.). I believe that they had separate 'wholesale' catalogues.

Your rod is of similar construction to my Precision Rods, and the Milward's 'Featherlite' set of three lengths which I've accumulated.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Lee & Sons Cane Rods”