have you seen this

The Edward Barder Rods forum.
Stuart Whiting

Re: have you seen this

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Paul D wrote:There is a members age poll on here somewhere, as too Isaacs book I've got a copy and I've read it, you really need to remember and take into consideration when it was written, personally I enjoyed it.
As to Mr Barders rod, yes given the funds I'd buy it and use it. :Hat:
Quite agree Paul about taking into account about how old the Walton books maybe, this I can fully understand and fully respect but it's just not for me mate :Hat:

I like and collect books that are from say around 1900 onwards, I've got many that are between 1910 - 1950's etc

Give me a book like the complete roach book by " Faddist " for example and I'd be happy as a ........ :cheers:

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

I think people will have still heard of Richard Walker in twenty years. Carp anglers will remember him,trout anglers will, along with anglers that love to fish with vintage tackle.

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Kevin wrote:I think people will have still heard of Richard Walker in twenty years. Carp anglers will remember him,trout anglers will, along with anglers that love to fish with vintage tackle.
Absolutely agree and not forgetting his historic catches of big roach from his local river Hiz and aswell as the quality perch that he used to catch from lakes like Arlsey lake in Beds, hence the ledger weight known as the Arlsey bomb which Dick was fist involved with, with a few others :Hat:

Tweed

Post by Tweed »

So,
I can't recall many references to Walker in November's Carpology and I can't see any great reason generally for increased coverage in the press.

Secondly I'd like to point out that his trout fishing was most latterly for stocked rainbows in artificial lakes. While neither praising nor condemning this type of fishing, it is rather at odds with todays clamour to catch "wild trout".

The Arlsey Bomb was certainly well publicised at the time, but, it is hard to imagine that it would have remained un-invented. I'm not certain nobody else ever set a swivel into a streamlined casting lead? Anyway these weights are now referred to just as "Bombs" - I think the Arlsey bit is long gone.

I can't recall his legendary Hiz roach catches, so am unsure how long they will be remembered.

While not having any axe to grind on this, I'm merely pointing out a possibility regarding future interest. In conclusion I would ask how widely nowadays Leonard West, Courtnay Williams or Rev. Powell are known?

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Tweed wrote:So,
I can't recall many references to Walker in November's Carpology and I can't see any great reason generally for increased coverage in the press.

Secondly I'd like to point out that his trout fishing was most latterly for stocked rainbows in artificial lakes. While neither praising nor condemning this type of fishing, it is rather at odds with todays clamour to catch "wild trout".

The Arlsey Bomb was certainly well publicised at the time, but, it is hard to imagine that it would have remained un-invented. I'm not certain nobody else ever set a swivel into a streamlined casting lead? Anyway these weights are now referred to just as "Bombs" - I think the Arlsey bit is long gone.

I can't recall his legendary Hiz roach catches, so am unsure how long they will be remembered.

While not having any axe to grind on this, I'm merely pointing out a possibility regarding future interest. In conclusion I would ask how widely nowadays Leonard West, Courtnay Williams or Rev. Powell are known?
I can go along with that Tweed,

Yep at the time Walker was known for his big 2lb + roach catches from his local river Hiz but then I suppose there's many others that have all had there moment and can think of far better anglers as regards to big roach are concerned IE Mark everard, John Bailey, John Wilson, Mark wintle and then going right back to the early days of Faddist to name a few,

I've literally got all of these mentioned books and every single worth while roach book dating back to 1910 that I keep within me collection :Hat:

I think that we're all ledgends in our own right because there's always something to do with our own fishing that we're gonna be good at and possibly recognised by others :cheers:

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

Nothing in this months Carp magazine is taking a short view on the most influential angler of the twentieth century.(not my words)
Some one else may well have invented the bomb and the bite alarm,but they didn't,he did.
Anglers are still catching on his May fly nymph,fly patterns good ones tend to stick around for?,well some of the patterns in 'Waltons book are still relevant.
No axe to grind here, but so far nothing to firm up your opinion.

Tweed

Post by Tweed »

Kevin wrote:Nothing in this months Carp magazine is taking a short view on the most influential angler of the twentieth century.
Some one else may well have invented the bomb and the bite alarm,but they didn't,he did.
Anglers are still catching on his May fly nymph,fly patterns good ones tend to stick around for?,well some of the patterns in 'Waltons book are still relevant.
No axe to grind here, but so far nothing to firm up your opinion that nobody will have heard of Richard Walker in twenty years.
Exactly, it is just an opinion, and I saw a pack of Arlsey Bombs too at the outdoor shop today. As regards the mayfly nymph, Skues advised on a pattern, and many seem to have dabbled with it. Walker in his inimitable way created gills via the use of fluffed out mohair, but then if memory serves regarded the fly as highly effective even where mayfly aren't found. How praiseworthy and inventive tying a size ten leaded longshank with a cream mohair body is beyond my remit? I doubt that fly alone will keep the legend, but other things might, of course, and I couldn't possibly evidence an opinion of a world twenty years hence, other than to wish everybody's realisation of their dreams.

Finally the term "short view"was used in a way that suggests that I applied it to Walker. Of course I did no such thing, I simply said that I took a "short" view of the second hand tackle market over a twenty year cycle, in that I expect prices to fall. This is just an opinion, but in its support I query how much reverence the current pieces will attract. I can't really see a demograph for the future market.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Not quite sure this thread is headed any place. I shall monitor it for a while, may be wrong.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Certainly recent conversations I've had have definitely confirmed that some tackle prices are now going backwards. I can see the cane fly rod market holding it's ground, given the global interest, but I'm not so sure of the coarse rod market though, long-term. Do you think it would be fair to write that split cane coarse rods are an interest mainly but of course not exclusively centred around the Northern Continental countries and the UK?

In the last ten years the classic car market has seen some staggering price increases and my latest reading suggests prices are increasing at a faster pace now than ever before. That may be because of emerging markets such as China.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

I agree SK this all started with a Barder rod whilst price is always a subjective opinion quality never will be. I read somewhere on the net reciently that someone could build a rod with the same quality as Barder and Andrew Davis for less than half the price. If you believe that you will believe anything these two people, yes I know them well, have taken building cane rods to another level and given the hours that put in to each rod charge accordingly.
I bought my first 2 Barder rods , signed by CY, for less than £500 each when he wasn't fashionable was that an investment I happen to think so but may be proven wrong of course.
Bumble

Return to “Edward Barder Cane Rods”