have you seen this

The Edward Barder Rods forum.
Davejass
Rudd

Re: have you seen this

Post by Davejass »

Macko wrote:Davejass, a better investment than most pensions and the like, although some
people like just owning works of art, and Barder, Davis rods are works of of art.
They are the Picassos, Rembrandt..... of the Bamboo rod world.
This may be a good investment but only while it is fashionable.
We recently sold a longcase clock at auction which 20 years ago was probably worth £400 but only realised £100 last week as there is now no call for them!
Dave@ Hastings

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

It looks like they are holding the money in them well enough,2005 unused Merlin for sale at £1800.
Price of a new Merlin today £1800,after eleven years the money is still in the rod..

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

Davejass, you should have held onto the clock until they became fashionable again.
That's why things are investments, sell at the right time (no pun intended).

ATB Macko

Davejass
Rudd

Post by Davejass »

I don't think I will be around when that happens. We sold it as it was in the way!
Dave@ Hastings

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I'm not so sure that rods are an investment. Presumably the owner has asked Barder to sell this on his behalf. Let's say it's a bit like a painting – the agent/vendor takes 25% of the sale value. depending on when the rod was made and inflation etc then the buyer may get back what they paid.

I bought a cane rod as an investment and after twenty years it hasn't increased in value at all, in fact it's devalued in real terms. Now reals are another matter altogether. Hand-built centre-pins have been good investments for some.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

How I wish my Chris Lythe AJP Deluxe wasn't stolen in July 2000

ATB Macko

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

Is the rod(bought as an investment) one of Edwards?
What happens to the value of his rods when he cant make them anymore.

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

No fishing rods as such are classified as an investment, collectors items yes I can totally agree with but holding value not particularly,

A collection of various rods that may of been owned by famous anglers and ledgends may hold a few quid but in reality a rod is only ever worth what people are willing to pay,

A few reels over the years have supposedly held a bit of investment, mainly centre pins but this is with exception as most other reels don't generally hold much value,

In terms of angling the only items that I can really say hold any value to them are very good quality first edition angling books :Hat:

Tweed

Post by Tweed »

STUART WHITING wrote:No fishing rods as such are classified as an investment, collectors items yes I can totally agree with but holding value not particularly,

A collection of various rods that may of been owned by famous anglers and ledgends may hold a few quid but in reality a rod is only ever worth what people are willing to pay,

A few reels over the years have supposedly held a bit of investment, mainly centre pins but this is with exception as most other reels don't generally hold much value,

In terms of angling the only items that I can really say hold any value to them are very good quality first edition angling books :Hat:
Agree with almost all of that. How much value there'll be in twenty years time remains to be seen, but I'd be taking the short view myself. Nobody in twenty years will have a clue about Walker, Allcock let alone Ustonson, in my opinion. It also seems to me that one can acquire a perfectly serviceable cane rod for between £60 (run of the mill fly rods at auction) up to £400 for a new coarse rod.

Anbody's guess what will hold value long term.

Das-Bolt
Gudgeon

Post by Das-Bolt »

I'd like to reply but I'm just off to the Louvre! :Chuckle:

Return to “Edward Barder Cane Rods”