Barder 25 year anniversary

The Edward Barder Rods forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Barder 25 year anniversary

Post by Nobby »

If EB's first commercially made rod was on ex-Oliver planing forms that rather suggests he might not have even used the Constable ones he is reputed to have bought.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

MHC wrote:With respect Beresford, hand made so called 'luxury goods' are often made with very great care and attention, by their nature are limited in quantity and can fetch a premium price due to the time taken to make them.
I'm not sure I follow you now. Barder's rods are made with very great care and attention.

Most luxury items that claim to be 'hand made' employ power tools somewhere in the process. Can you give me some examples where that isn't the case? I can't think of a single one which doesn't use powered tools either in processing the raw materials or in making the item.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

MHC

Post by MHC »

Suffice it to say,the bamboo culms which are selected specifically for rod making in China by importer Andy Royer, which end up on both Barder's and my bench, will indeed be harvested using power saws..

Beyond this small nugget, I have nothing further to add.

Support your local rodmakers, or one day you will be surprised to find that there are none left.
Last edited by MHC on Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

This post is not really about the way a cane rod is made, it's only about Edward Barders prices.
Cars of today are much more reliable than yesteryears, and I feel the same about Barders rods
or Andrew Davis rods, or Paul Cook's rods,just my opinion.

ATB Macko

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I sort of consider myself lucky on this one. I bought a James Kennet Perfection in 2008 I think and asked Edward Barder to restore it for me which he did. It was one of the last rod restorations he did I believe as when I asked him to restore an Avon Perfection I had acquired he said he had too many orders for new rods and therefore would not be doing restorations any more.

I have never used an Oliver Kennet Perfection although I have heard of their reputation so could not comment on whether I would think the James to be better or vice versa.

What I can say is that the James Kennet Perfection I have is a beauty and I love it to bits especially now having used it on the Kennet and been rewarded with a couple of fine Barbel.

So I sort of have a Barder / James Kennet Perfection and therefore can remain untempted by the current Barder version.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Our lawyer, although very good, is nowhere near the top of his profession. Looking at his hourly rate I'm really glad I don't have to buy rods off him :tea:
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Personally, I have no problem with EB or anyone else using modern power tools; nor do I have a problem with tapers etc being worked out with the aid of a computer. I might raise eyebrows at the price of EB rods - but if the quality is there, good luck to him. Why not use modernity to achieve excellence with traditional items, such as cane fishing rods?
I don't use cane rods any more, but I do think they are lovely - most of them: works of art, and when they are functional too, and probably better than the cane rods of the past.(?) :Scared: :surrender: well, surely we can celebrate that?

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I've really enjoyed reading this thread chaps and your insights into the rod building fraternity. And it strikes me Barder rods are actually very cheap when considering the amount of labour performed by an expert craftsman! £2000 for 80 hours work only works out at £25 per hour (inc quality materials etc and overheads). Ask yourself how much one has to pay for a common average plummer, electrician or car mechanic on an hourly rate and they're all ten a penny. £70 plus just to see what needs fixing before they even start!

So perhaps Mr Barder is actually under charging so he can remain competitive with those that have much less overheads. Anyway, surely his rods are worth every penny and more to boot!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Santiago wrote:I've really enjoyed reading this thread chaps and your insights into the rod building fraternity. And it strikes me Barder rods are actually very cheap when considering the amount of labour performed by an expert craftsman! £2000 for 80 hours work only works out at £25 per hour (inc quality materials etc and overheads). Ask yourself how much one has to pay for a common average plummer, electrician or car mechanic on an hourly rate and they're all ten a penny. £70 plus just to see what needs fixing before they even start!

So perhaps Mr Barder is actually under charging so he can remain competitive with those that have much less overheads. Anyway, surely his rods are worth every penny and more to boot!!
I totally agree Trevor and so does Edward!
I think we should not be saying how expensive his rods are but how cheap Andrew Davis, Paul Cook and Ryan Burns rods are.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Snape wrote:
Santiago wrote:I've really enjoyed reading this thread chaps and your insights into the rod building fraternity. And it strikes me Barder rods are actually very cheap when considering the amount of labour performed by an expert craftsman! £2000 for 80 hours work only works out at £25 per hour (inc quality materials etc and overheads). Ask yourself how much one has to pay for a common average plummer, electrician or car mechanic on an hourly rate and they're all ten a penny. £70 plus just to see what needs fixing before they even start!

I totally agree Trevor and so does Edward!
I think we should not be saying how expensive his rods are but how cheap Andrew Davis, Paul Cook and Ryan Burns rods are.
Well said, Gentlemen Both ... and if I can add one point which relates back to the very first post ...

Heartiest congratulations to Mr. Barder for being 25 years in a business at which he not only excels, but which he obviously loves. I shall toast him when the anniversary comes. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Edward Barder Cane Rods”