Inspiration required

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
EricW
Perch

Inspiration required

Post by EricW »

I have recently bought an Octofloat de luxe for sentimental reasons. It is in pretty good nick except for the rings. The butt is ok, but the intermediates are quite rusty and the tip is u/s. I have the new rings to replace them but that is all . There seems no point in re-doing all the intermediate and decorative whipping, but needless to say I am struggling with a match for the existing green and red jasper(?) threads. Anybody got any bright ideas for a colour that will look like a match at distance even if up close it isn't quite. Even a solid colour might do the job. Or maybe a colour that will complement the threads I leave untouched. Ideally I'd like to use a matching thread but as there doesn't appear to be such a thing, I'm in a quandry. The closest I have found is probably 603 in the Hitena range but even that looks wrong under varnish. I'm at something of a loss. Do I just have to keep buying threads that turn out to be no good or has somebody been here before me and found a solution?
Thanks in advance
eric
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: Inspiration required

Post by Catfish.017 »

I searched hard a few years ago without success. That particular thread seems unique to the Octofloats, I've never seen it on another rod.

John_Moore
Silver Bream

Post by John_Moore »

Hi Eric
I think I have some green/red Jasper I will dig it out and get back to you in the next day or two.
Regards John.

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

I would be most grateful, thank you.
Eric
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

John_Moore wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:05 pm Hi Eric
I think I have some green/red Jasper I will dig it out and get back to you in the next day or two.
Regards John.
Do be careful here...the 'twist' as it is known...'Jasper' is reserved for yellow and blach twist, Jasper being old slang for a wasp, ...is made up of 5 threads.

In the Sealey choice it is three green to two red. But you can also purchase....as I did in error...a blend of three red and two green that looks a lot 'browner'.

John_Moore
Silver Bream

Post by John_Moore »

:Hat: Thanks Nobby always a world of inspiration and knowledge.
Best John.

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”