Sealey Floatcaster deluxe - cane bottom, glass upper2 - help required please

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Sealey Floatcaster deluxe - cane bottom, glass upper2 - help required please

Post by Barbelseeker »

Recently purchased the above, (nominally 11' but I think it has 1-2" missing off tip, as assembled it measures 10' -10.5") with 2 fish logo, some green whippings which seem original. . It needs a complete refurbishment, which I intend doing, some replacement rings are whipped on with tow rope and the others, which I think are original are neat green. but the butt ring (replacement doesn't look correct).

I have no catalogues I can refer to, can anyone please send me details of rod rings used. whipping colour, section lengths and ring spacings please.

Thanking you in anticipation

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Sealey Floatcaster deluxe - cane bottom, glass upper2 - help required please

Post by Nobby »

Sealey did do a few 'composite' rods in the mid-Sixties, such as the Black Arrow II and I imagine yours is probably the same rod, trading on the name of a successful forerunner.

I had one once and should have kept it...it had an identical action to a good Allcock Wizard without that rods too short a handle.

If it's the rod I'm thinking off the middle and tip sections will be mid-brown with the fibres showing as gel-coats were yet to be thought of.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Re: Sealey Floatcaster deluxe - cane bottom, glass upper2 - help required please

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I have a floatcaster of this configuration. I think they also did a 12ft version in that configuration too.

I thought the original whipping colour was blue. Certainly a lot of Sealey rods were whipped in blue.

You may (or not) find that the underside of any whippings you remove are blue.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Paul W
Bleak

Post by Paul W »

MaggotDrowner wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:22 pm I have a floatcaster of this configuration. I think they also did a 12ft version in that configuration too.

I thought the original whipping colour was blue. Certainly a lot of Sealey rods were whipped in blue.

You may (or not) find that the underside of any whippings you remove are blue.
We used know the Sealy rods as ...... Sealy blue match rods when I was a kid....
It’s just what everyone called them in sunny Yorkshire 🥴
A local lad had one and was the envy Of the local fishing community.
Always look forward when walking or you might walk into a wall !

Duckett
Tench

Re: Sealey Floatcaster deluxe - cane bottom, glass upper2 - help required please,

Post by Duckett »

In fixtures, fittings as well as glass appearance and whipping pattern, that very much resembles my early all glass Black Arrow Deluxe
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The "Edgar Sealey Fishing Equipment 1964 Price List" lists the Floatcaster De Luxe in 11ft and 12 ft versions ... both 3 piece hollow glass throughout, priced at 115/- and 127/6 respectively.

The "Sealey Fishing Manual 1967" has no illustration of this rod ... but this description :-

"The Floatcaster de Luxe. A cleverly designed rod comprising a split cane butt and a light fast middle joint and tip in hollow glass. Whippings - Blue.
Length 11ft ... Price £8 1 8. Length 12ft ... Price £8 15 5."

It was not listed in the "Sealey Fishing Manual 1968," so was probably superseded by the 'Sealey Blue Match' rods, which appeared in the manual for that year ... offered in 10 1.2ft - 2 piece/12ft - 3 piece/13ft - 3 piece/13ft - 4 piece/14ft - 3 piece variants, described as follows :-

"Sealey's supreme quality, ultra-light match rod designed for the expert competition angler. Ferrule-less (the joints are part of the overall gunmetal hollow glass construction, saving weight and improving action). the Blue Match models have long smooth cork handles, aqualite stand-off butt and end rings, and stainless steel chromed intermediates. Whippings - Blue/white."
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Thank you for relies so far gentlemen, and I would apologise for not placing photographs. You live and learn, and buying this rod, although not dear, makes me realise that sellers can be very economical with the truth. But that's my fault - ought to have been a dentist and learnt the art of perfect extraction

Firstly the rod is definitely not a black arrow or similar as I have some nice examples of those. It is badged "Floatcaster de luxe" and carries the 2 fish logo.

The bottom/butt ring seems total out of context and is crudely whipped on and is the rod tip, which makes me wonder if the tip as mentioned earlier is slightly short. Some of the original whippings look neat and I have included photographs of these (deep green). As posted - any information regarding ring sizes and placing - particular that bottom ring would be much appreciated. The rod also has had a thick coat of varnish - what is the best way to remove this - blowtorch? :Hahaha:

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

AshbyCut wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:05 pm The "Edgar Sealey Fishing Equipment 1964 Price List" lists the Floatcaster De Luxe in 11ft and 12 ft versions ... both 3 piece hollow glass throughout, priced at 115/- and 127/6 respectively.
That's interesting, Mal. I didn't know they made them entirely in glass! I'd love to own one of those. I really enjoy using one of mine that is the same as Barbelseeker's.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Barbelseeker,

I would say that your rod has been re-whipped and varnished at some point. I reckon your tip is a little short too, but not by too much.

It should still be a good rod, when you've done a little work on it.

Have you got some thread and a replacement butt ring? If not drop me a PM and I'll send you a butt ring and a spool of blue whipping thread FOC. I can also sort you out with another standoff eye if you're one missing? You could be, looking at picture 6 on your post.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Thank you for that offer, which I will accept. I will PM the details tomorrow. I can see a days fishing in exchange on the Trent for your generosity, when this COVID thing settles down.

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”