Black Seal 11ft Split cane Carp / Pike or other?

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Re: Black Seal 11ft Split cane Carp / Pike or other?

Post by Tonytoned »

AshbyCut wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:46 pm It's not an Edgar Sealey rod ... and it's not a Mordex (of Sheffield, who made the Mordex centrepin reels) "Royal Seal" brand ... it's a "Black Seal" branded rod, which ... as I learned from TFF member Nobby about 4 years ago ... " ''Black Seal' was R G Edwards of Carshalton, Surrey .... though Lords knows who actually made them......nearby Pegley-Davies or FT Williams?"

Just from the photos, I have no doubt it's not a pike rod ... nor one for today's carp 'leviathons' ... but a 'heavyish' float rod similar in style to the F. T. Williams "Dorset." I prepared to be shot down in flames, of course.
Thank you Ashby. I did try to look briefly how manufactured and thought it was Edgar Sealy. So could almost classed as a Avon style Rod?

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

AshbyCut wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:04 am This is a photo of a"Dorset" which I restored during the winter of 2013/14.

It was bought from the neice of a Gentleman who had passed away, who told me he used it to fish for barbel on his local river in the 1970's and 80's ... but weights have increased quite a bit since then. The extra 'short' tip was for legering, she said.

Thanks again AshbyCut. :Hat:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Nobby wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:09 am Mal is spot on, Black Seal later changed their badge to a black 'wax' seal and I have several addresses for them in Carshalton, nearby Wallington and even Brixton. I think I once read a piece by John Andrews which suggested they were two brothers travelling around the country selling tackle from a van, but I can n o longer find that article.

They were also responsible for Wearside tackle

Thank you Nobby. That's interesting about the history of the company.

:Hat:

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”