The Floatcaster Variations

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

The Floatcaster Variations

Post by MaggotDrowner »

As a few of you will know I have a bit of a thing for Floatcasters. My first cane rod was a 12 ft Floatcaster deluxe restored and sold to me by an ex-member of this site. I then purchased the superb 11ft Floatcaster deluxe and it was my first cane rod restoration back in 2013. Since then I have acquired two more.

It has been a long term goal of mine to collect all the Floatcaster variations. As far as I can tell there are six versions, the ones in green I own and the ones in red I need (want):

1) 11 ft Floatcaster deluxe - whole / split / split
2) 12 ft Floatcaster deluxe - whole / split / split
3) 11 ft Floatcaster - whole / whole / split
4) 12 ft Floatcaster - whole / whole / split
5) 11 ft Floatcaster deluxe - split / glass / glass
6) 12 ft Floatcaster deluxe - split / glass / glass
7) 11 ft Floatcaster deluxe - split / split / split
8) 12 ft Floatcaster deluxe - split / split / split ??? *

I'd also love to see some of the old Sealey sales guides that mention Floatcaster if anyone has any images to share with me here or via PM.

*Does rod variation number eight exist? I have yet to see a photo or hear from anyone who owns one!

:geek: :Ugeek: :Ugeek: :geek:
Last edited by MaggotDrowner on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Crucian
Eel

Re: The Floatcaster Variations

Post by Crucian »

Hi Jack,

I have one of the all built cane 11' Floatcasters, It's unrestored and might even be unused. I bought it as 'old shop stock'.
There is another picture of this rod somewhere in the Edgar Sealey section.

It's a later rod with the 'two fishes' logo. The label says Edgar Sealey, followed by the 'two fishes', then FLOAT ROD and finally, Made in England. Above this, written along the rod, Floatcaster De Luxe. All lettering is in silver.

I think the quality was slipping a bit by the time this was made, mid to late sixties at a guess. Have a look at the last photo, its the mid section at the ferrule. How not to build a cane rod...but having said that, it's as straight as an arrow, with no glue lines evident.

Hope this helps.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Crucian, many thanks. I was looking for reference to that variation last night. I thought I had seen one but couldn't find it again. I thought I was going mad!

First post amended to list this variation and the possibility of a 12 ft all built cane version too. Can anyone confirm if there was a 12 ft all split cane version?

As an aside, it is interesting you mention the quality of the later two fishes rods slipping. The Octofloat is said to have much better quality rod fittings (rings and ferrules etc) than the very similar but later Nufloat of the two fishes logo era. Although the cane seems to remain sound from what i have seen. I've seen two Nufloats in the flesh but never seen an Octofloat.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Hi MD, Thats a fine collection and probably a rod for most situations, I also like Edgar Sealey's especially my built cane 11ft Octofloat De Luxe an excellent Tench rod. I'm rebuilding a whole cane butt, built cane mid and tip 11ft Float caster De Luxe and look forward to using it in the new season, like you I also own a whole cane and built cane mid and tip 12 foot Float caster De Luxe a great rod for float fishing at those longer ranges. A 12 foot built cane Float caster well that would be something to own.

Trevor

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

From the 1967 Sealey catalogue, Jack. Hope it helps.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

From the 1964 Sealey Price List,

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Lovatt wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:37 am Hi MD, Thats a fine collection and probably a rod for most situations, I also like Edgar Sealey's especially my built cane 11ft Octofloat De Luxe an excellent Tench rod. I'm rebuilding a whole cane butt, built cane mid and tip 11ft Float caster De Luxe and look forward to using it in the new season, like you I also own a whole cane and built cane mid and tip 12 foot Float caster De Luxe a great rod for float fishing at those longer ranges. A 12 foot built cane Float caster well that would be something to own.

Trevor
The 11ft whole / split / split is my favourite. It will be lovely when you’re finished. I’d love to see pictures.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Many thanks, Mal. I’ll have a study of them after work. Something to look forward to after my shift. :Thumb:
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Yeah I'll get some pictures up when it's finished I have to make a butt ferrule first so I'm waiting a couple more weeks for the weather to warm up.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

The Peter Butler carp rod sounds interesting, at 10' 6" a little different to the norm. Don't think I've ever seen one for sale? Does anyone on the forum own one?

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”