Poolson rods, any connection?

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
EricW
Perch

Poolson rods, any connection?

Post by EricW »

I've just purchased an interesting job lot of rods. One is an R Sealey Rapid Strike which looks like it will be a nice rod to use. The second is very similar in appearance, construction and name being a Lightening Strike by Poolson(?). Both appear to have split cane tips, spliced in to cane or slimmer reed, spliced into Reed butts. The Rapid Strike bears the vendors logo as well, that being Handleys, 30 Westgate, Rotherham. Does anybody know if there is a connection between Poolson and Sealey or is the similarity merely a result of fashion for want of a better word?
I was very pleased with this collection as it turned up unexpectedly in a pretty decent period rod holdall. ImageImageImageImage
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Poolson rods, any connection?

Post by AshbyCut »

I know of no connection between Poolson and Bernard Sealey & Co/Precision Rods.

The application of a 'Japanese Lacquer' finish to rods was used by lots of companies ... like this one from Priory Rod of Bournemouth.

From the rods I have seen it was predominantly used on 'match' type rods where sections were constructed of Spanish Reed and whole cane, sometimes with the split cane portion of the rod left in a natural finish. I think, therefor, that it may have been either as a 'fashion statement,' or more likely to have a 'uniform' finish to the rods.

There was also no connection commercially between Edgar Sealey and Bernard Sealey & Co/Precision Rods, other than the fact that Bernard was Edgar's cousin.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

EricW
Perch

Re: Poolson rods, any connection?

Post by EricW »

Thank you for that, if anybody knows I am sure you do. The rapid strike feels quite nice in the hand and I shall use that for sure, but the Poolson rod is a bit top heavy probably due to its extra length. It needs a little work, so I shall see how it fishes once it is finished.
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”