B James Green Whipped Final Words.

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: B James Green Whipped.

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Possibly a rod that needed a new tip section and rather than do all the inters, the restorer stripped the butt section to make it a quick job.
Just a possibility of course.

Wal.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

A very nice rod, there are a few examples around that came straight out of James’s shop unwrapped so not unusual - the button i’d say is a replacement - as for the whippings - it is not inconceivable that this pattern may have been done as a special request - however, and has already been noted it has an air of T.O. about it - possibly then may have been rewhipped at a later date - if so it would be relatively early as the transfers do not appear to have any lift or halo to them. I also believe Wal may have a keen indicator to why this occurred - but as with Lea Dwellers post - it is impossible to say for sure without provenance and by this I do not mean ‘is it a B James rod’ simply put it is an anomaly within the scheme of finish etc. that James would normally offer - all this said it is a super rod and on a personal note I think the whipping colours are fine indeed.

:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

There seems no doubt that it is a B.James Mark IV Avon, but having had the benefit of seeing it myself, I have an opinion. I think that the rod was NEVER close whipped, the rubber button could be a replacement or a 'customer choice' is a possibility. As I have said before as the rod cannot talk, we will never know for sure. John (Fredline) is not implying that the rod has great value or importance, merely that it is unusual! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

ImageLooking at the bottom of the cane where it enters the cork puzzles me! The cane/varnish is much darker there. If this was in original condition all the cane would be the same shade. So it certainly appears to have been restored. Then that begs the question of how did the restorer circumvent the decal without leaving a trace? Is that even possible? The lighter tone of the cane around the decal compared to the bottom part therefore suggests to me that the decal may well be fake, and added after restoration. This difference in the tone of the cane/varnish certainly asks more questions than it provides answers! There's certainly been really good fake decals available for a long time so that's a reasonable assertion. Still that leaves another quandery. The rod could either be a B James or a JB Walker kit rod, both with a fake decal stuck on after restoration. Many kit rod's didn't have close whipping since the dressers didn't bother with the extra work! Regardless, it looks like a greater rod.

I'm probably wrong of course, if so, I'd like to know how one can restore a rod and leave a decal in such great condition!? Or a good explanation for the darker cane/varnish at the bottom of the cane that precludes restoration!?
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Santiago wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:56 pm ImageLooking at the bottom of the cane where it enters the cork puzzles me! The cane/varnish is much darker there. If this was in original condition all the cane would be the same shade. So it certainly appears to have been restored. Then that begs the question of how did the restorer circumvent the decal without leaving a trace? Is that even possible? The lighter tone of the cane around the decal compared to the bottom part therefore suggests to me that the decal may well be fake, and added after restoration. This difference in the tone of the cane/varnish certainly asks more questions than it provides answers! There's certainly been really good fake decals available for a long time so that's a reasonable assertion. Still that leaves another quandery. The rod could either be a B James or a JB Walker kit rod, both with a fake decal stuck on after restoration. Many kit rod's didn't have close whipping since the dressers didn't bother with the extra work! Regardless, it looks like a greater rod.

I'm probably wrong of course, if so, I'd like to know how one can restore a rod and leave a decal in such great condition!? Or a good explanation for the darker cane/varnish at the bottom of the cane that precludes restoration!?
Great sleuthing Trevor. :Thumb:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Post by TraditionalAngling »

By looking at the pictures the rod has been restored to a very good condition.But not to the original B J whipping colours.Most of the green whipped ones that you see around are not original.The orginal green whipped BJ of the era are much darker green if fact some are almost black with use and age.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

The rod was purchased second hand in the 1960's from an advert in the Anglers Mail. It was used a couple of times but the user was not a fan so put it to one side until it came to me. Every part of this rod is as original as the day it came from the shop apart from the 2 guides on the butt section which I have replaced after the owner had dropped the rod and cracked the agate lined stripper guide and then noticed the next ring has desoldered.
The quote below is from the seller of the rod:-

"...And now you know as much as I do, although I was told later by someone who knew more than me about them, that B.James turned out about 5,000 of them eventually and some were made up to suit staff members or those customers who wanted their own colour tyings. I can certainly assure you that both pieces are the original ones and there has never been a replacement top made."
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Fredline wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:24 am The rod was purchased second hand in the 1960's from an advert in the Anglers Mail. It was used a couple of times but the user was not a fan so put it to one side until it came to me. Every part of this rod is as original as the day it came from the shop apart from the 2 guides on the butt section which I have replaced after the owner had dropped the rod and cracked the agate lined stripper guide and then noticed the next ring has desoldered.
The quote below is from the seller of the rod:-

"...And now you know as much as I do, although I was told later by someone who knew more than me about them, that B.James turned out about 5,000 of them eventually and some were made up to suit staff members or those customers who wanted their own colour tyings. I can certainly assure you that both pieces are the original ones and there has never been a replacement top made."
This is correct and as I have said there were a fair few specials made - this being another - because things do not fit a norm does not mean anything other than they are not ‘normal’ as you now have some insight into the history of the rod most speculation can be ignored - and as I said earlier it is a fine rod and I personally like the whippings choice.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

OK, I'll assume that the darker part near the cork is due to whipping sealant, if used by B James! Otherwise I'll only be convinced by a good reason for the darker more original looking bit of cane next to the butt, and apart from whipping sealant I can't think of any. That darker bit just doesn't look right!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I can see the darker element to the finish - once again I have seen this before especially around the butt and ferrule whippings I have always put this down to purely extra coats near to the collars & ferrule. If the rod had been restored I am sure this deeper shade would have gone upto and over the decals - which we have all seen. All this however as I keep stressing is no guarantee to any rods origins.

Heraclitus

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”