B James Green Whipped Final Words.

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Fredline
Tench

B James Green Whipped Final Words.

Post by Fredline »

This MK1V Avon came from an impeccable source and had been in their possession for many years. It is all original with the usual transfers and just needed the butt ring replacing,which I have since done. It is whipped in green with red tipping at each end of the guides. There is no close whipping and it comes complete with its original dedicated B.James bag. Can anyone please furnish me with any information about this style of B.James MK1V?
ImageImageImage
Last edited by Fredline on Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: B James Green Whipped.

Post by Lea Dweller »

It is a lovely rod John, in superb condition all round! As I remarked to you when I saw it, maybe someone asked B.James to make them a MKIV Avon without close whipping? As Ted Oliver once remarked during a conversation, the customer can have whatever he wants to pay for, his choice of close whippings (or not), colour and spacing, handle length etc. As with my rod,it cannot speak so we can only speculate but it is great fun! :Ok:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Post by TraditionalAngling »

Never seen one with that style of whipping.But have seen/had Ted Oliver's rods that have a similar whippings.Also the rubber button does not look right a little oversized maybe ?.B.James did supply rods without the inters.I have sold a few in the past.With the original transfers.Is it a London England or early one ?

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

You can tell it’s one of Rod Southpaw’s blanks.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Bob Brookes wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:12 pm You can tell it’s one of Rod Southpaw’s blanks.
That is daft, it is clearly a Ted Chapman! :Hat:
Confucius

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I reckon it’s a very early Barder😂😂
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Post by TraditionalAngling »

Its a rod that needs provance to say what it is.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

TraditionalAngling wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:33 pm Never seen one with that style of whipping.But have seen/had Ted Oliver's rods that have a similar whippings.Also the rubber button does not look right a little oversized maybe ?.B.James did supply rods without the inters.I have sold a few in the past.With the original transfers.Is it a London England or early one ?
London England. Image
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Another lovely find John. The Olympic came without inters, so why not a MkIV?
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

TraditionalAngling wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:20 pm Its a rod that needs provance to say what it is.
Surely the B.James transfers and the known evidence that B.james produced Mark IV's that were not close whipped are provenance? After all, a definition of provenance is 'The place of origin or earliest known history of something' ?? :Hat:
Confucius

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”