MK IV Avon history

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Gilbert
Rudd

Re: MK IV Avon history

Post by Gilbert »

sadly , no . i had to take a phone call but the price went over the limit i had set ...but i would probably had another shout had i been able . at least it didn't go for peanuts

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Santiago wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:09 pm Interesting. My recent avon purchase just has the tackle shops decal on it (P. Weekes, Paddington) and the handle is nearly 26". Originally I thought it might be a MkIV kit rod but now I'm not too sure. Why? Because the taper is much straighter. Much more like a Chapman's 500 taper with a fixed handle. So to me it appears that there's the MKIV taper made by B. James, the same taper made by JB Walker, very similar tapers to the MKIV (essentially a MkIV) made by other manufacturers, and then there's the 500 variant made by Chapman's and possibly others. But that's purely what I've gleaned from the forum, none of which I'm certain of. It would be useful, therefore, if those who know much more about the evolution of Walker's Avon design would have some input.

As for their use, I prefer to touch leger with mine, or use it for perch fishing with a bobber and worm/live bait.
i lost a post - maybe it will pop up later . the problem with all the MK IVs is that many tackle shops were making their own version of a classic rod . that is why the early rods are so desirable .
'anyway i hope to get a correct ferrule for the '58 Avon tomorrow so off to see Peter Johnson ,and then i can finish the thing . it's a good usable rod but has suffered water damage in the past so it won't win a beauty contest . ..the next one will tho' . i'm looking for a trumpet handle that's had a hard life - just as long as the cane is good , the rest i can sort

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

In my very humble opinion there’s nothing quite like a good two piece Avon rod..... have a look out for a JB Walker Mk1V they are light In the hand and with a crisp action....a good deal better than the B James version and usually found to be a fair bit cheaper
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

RBTraditional wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:57 pm In my very humble opinion there’s nothing quite like a good two piece Avon rod..... have a look out for a JB Walker Mk1V they are light In the hand and with a crisp action....a good deal better than the B James version and usually found to be a fair bit cheaper
all true - but the next one will be from James , Hardy . or Youngs . then i will have a think about what follows . could be one of Stoney's Ledgerstrikes .

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Gilbert wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:40 pm sadly , no . i had to take a phone call but the price went over the limit i had set ...but i would probably had another shout had i been able . at least it didn't go for peanuts
If it's the one I thinking of
It was unusual in it had a trumpet handle and London address rather than Ealing which I'd always associated with the earlier rods.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Harry H wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:31 pm
Gilbert wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:40 pm sadly , no . i had to take a phone call but the price went over the limit i had set ...but i would probably had another shout had i been able . at least it didn't go for peanuts
If it's the one I thinking of
It was unusual in it had a trumpet handle and London address rather than Ealing which I'd always associated with the earlier rods.
yep , thats the one ,
i played around with photoshop and it is inscribed " B James , Ealing , London , all in Indian ink . the Walker sig looked shakey - not a transfer , and i thought it may have been signed by BJ --- making it one of the rods that Walker objected to due to a poor signature . if that is the case it would be one 'of the earliest Avons built -- late in '52. .... and the wraps are reminiscent of Walkers own Carp rod. spooky eh ?
anyway , i thought it worth a punt although if my gut was correct i would have had to decide what to do with it . it could be historically important , in which case i would not want to molest it in any way . i hope it's new owner treats it well
Last edited by Gilbert on Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John_Moore
Silver Bream

Post by John_Moore »

My head hurts after reading all that, my brain doesn't computate information like it once did.
Think I'll stick to using one of my old Wizards.
I have several James mkIV Avon's I will check out the handle lengths, and get back.
Regards John.

John_Moore
Silver Bream

Post by John_Moore »

Back again....
These are all B James Avon's measured to and not including the rubber button.
Two early London rods both have 24 1/2 inch handles.
Later models -
24 inch
23 1/2 inch
23 inch
So from that I would guess they were trying to save the odd cork here and there.
Regards John.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Hello John, what's the taper like of your MkIV avons compared to a Chapman's 500?
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Santiago wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:45 pm Hello John, what's the taper like of your MkIV avons compared to a Chapman's 500?
i would hazard a guess that the two early rods are different to the later ones ,,,but i would like to be wrong

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”