MK IV Avon history

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Harry H
Tench

Re: MK IV Avon history

Post by Harry H »

Gilbert wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:13 pm
Harry H wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:31 pm
Gilbert wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:40 pm sadly , no . i had to take a phone call but the price went over the limit i had set ...but i would probably had another shout had i been able . at least it didn't go for peanuts
If it's the one I thinking of
It was unusual in it had a trumpet handle and London address rather than Ealing which I'd always associated with the earlier rods.
yep , thats the one ,
i played around with photoshop and it is inscribed " B James , Ealing , London , all in Indian ink . the Walker sig looked shakey - not a transfer , and i thought it may have been signed by BJ --- making it one of the rods that Walker objected to due to a poor signature . if that is the case it would be one 'of the earliest Avons built -- late in '52. .... and the wraps are reminiscent of Walkers own Carp rod. spooky eh ?
anyway , i thought it worth a punt although if my gut was correct i would have had to decide what to do with it . it could be historically important , in which case i would not want to molest it in any way . i hope it's new owner treats it well
I did ask if it had Ealing in the inscription and the reply was London it was also an inch short on the tip.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

i asked the same - and got the same answer . i thought that was wrong and got the full text by p/shipping several images - light/clarity . the full text is there but not all in one place .bits of it are spread over 3 or four images . the full script is B James and Son , Ealing , London
i haven't found out how to upload pics on here but if this works most of the script is hereImage

Dokterhoo
Dace

Post by Dokterhoo »

Gilbert wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:41 pm i asked the same - and got the same answer . i thought that was wrong and got the full text by p/shipping several images - light/clarity . the full text is there but not all in one place .bits of it are spread over 3 or four images . the full script is B James and Son , Ealing , London
i haven't found out how to upload pics on here but if this works most of the script is hereImage

Hi,
From your picture I think you may have just dodged a bullet. The Mk IV decal shown is not correct, the font is missing the serif, and the Avon decal is missing the long tail on the "n" and is spaced incorrectly. I think they are both made up from Lettraset or similar stick-on lettering.
The hand written part looks rather amateurish as well. The rod may possibly be a B.James Avon, but lacking all of it's original markings, who can say?
Attached are 2 pics showing correct markings for comparison.

Dok

ImageImage

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Interesting that B.James should write Ealing, London. Because it was still in Middlesex then. It became in 'London' in 1965 but still continues to be in 'Middx' for postal purposes.

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Dokterhoo wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:54 am
Gilbert wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:41 pm i asked the same - and got the same answer . i thought that was wrong and got the full text by p/shipping several images - light/clarity . the full text is there but not all in one place .bits of it are spread over 3 or four images . the full script is B James and Son , Ealing , London

Hi,
From your picture I think you may have just dodged a bullet. The Mk IV decal shown is not correct, the font is missing the serif, and the Avon decal is missing the long tail on the "n" and is spaced incorrectly. I think they are both made up from Lettraset or similar stick-on lettering.
The hand written part looks rather amateurish as well. The rod may possibly be a B.James Avon, but lacking all of it's original markings, who can say?
Attached are 2 pics showing correct markings for comparison.

Dok

ImageImage

i don't think so . your pic is a much later example - which i also have . i felt there was enough evidence to risk a few quid , get my hands on the rod and take it from there . the worst that could happen is that i rebuilt it and made a small profit moving it on . . i still believe it is a pre production rod . without the rod i can't prove that either way - even then i doubt the origin is provable . another little snippet which could be summat or nowt is that a fella involved with the early rods retired to Folkestone with a fistful of rods.the rod was located in Dover.he is mentioned in the James rods thread .

John_Moore
Silver Bream

Post by John_Moore »

Santiago
Mid 1950's onion handle B James London Avon roughly every six inches from cork handle -
Next to the first measurements is a B James mkIV carp again onion handle mid 1950's.
11.6. 12.1
10.7. 11.2
10.3. 10.8
9.9. 10.1
9.0. 9.8
8.8. 9.4
8.2. 9.00
Tip
7.8. 8.5
7.4. 8.1
6.8. 7.9
6.5. 7.2
6.2. 6.6
5.7. 6.5
5.5. 5.9
5.0. 5.6
4.5. 5.3
3.8. 5.1
3.3. 4.1
2.9. 3.5
Regards John.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Thanks John!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Santiago wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:50 pmThanks John!
Seconded !

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”