Postage cost

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Postage cost

Post by Black Prince »

I have just bought a b James mklv splitcane carp rod,does anyone know any decently priced carrier,thanks in advance mike :fishing1:

Old Man River
Eel

Re: Postage cost

Post by Old Man River »

Which Courier for rods

Hi Mike,
Last month I couriered a 5"2 plastic inch rod tube , 2-1/2 inch dia and 1 KG weight ,containing a rod very similar to Mk IV, insured up to £1000.00 to Devon for £17.24p, Using UPS.

It took about 24 hrs, collected from my door to being delivered to the recipients door ( who happens to be a member on here )

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

That would be me by the way ! All good. Safely and securely delivered and at some point when Covid-19 allows, the plastic tube will be reunited with OMR. Delivery service excellent.

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Post by TraditionalAngling »

Try ParcelCompare on line all good at the moment. Parcelforce 24/48 Online or wait in the Q at your local Post Office

Steve Middleton
Traditional Angling Products

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I would not say one service is better than another - there is always an inherent risk of a calamity prevailing, but if I were to have a choice i’d go with UPS and make sure to insure the rod to the hilt. Good luck. Oh nearly forgot make sure you use a very rigid plastic tube or a carpet tube.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Has anyone tried the take the courier upon damages in transit they do not like fishing tackle

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Yes! good point - some carriers actually will not take a rod and if they do will not insure it for more than the minimum - usually around £20 - as said UPS do so and insure it - certainly last time I used them - be sure to explain thoroughly the prized cargo.
Last edited by Pallenpool on Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Although I've largely stopped selling rods and operating as a forwarding agent for a contact in Germany, in the past I used various couriers before they all seemed to clamp down on offering any cover for fishing rods other than total loss. More recently Parcel Force were the best option I found to ensure adequate insurance however, I thought they were expensive.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Even total loss is not insured when sending vintage or antique rods. They will ask for the original receipt and only pay out what the rod originally cost.
Restoration costs are not insurable nor are ebay auction items.
UPS are the most reliable with a good track record in my books but don't add extra insurance, its just wasted money as they will not insure fishing rods. Yes they will ask if you want extra insurance but read the terms and conditions and you will see they have no intention of paying out if they can class the item as antique, which they will.
Parcelforce 48 are probably the cheapest if the tube is under 1.5m long but here once again, dont add insurance as they dont insure fishing rods and if any of you have ever tried to claim from the Royal Mail you will know that they just send you round and round in circles until you either give up or actually take them to court to get your money.

Choose your courier and double tube the rod or use a very strong tube. Well padded inside to withstand being dropped from a wagon or walked over, kneeled on in the back of a wagon.

Good luck.
Wal.

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Re: Postage cost and damage

Sorry to say there are antis out there out on fishing.Had a rod last month that had been taken out of the tube and broken in half at the butt end by the first ring.The rod was a BW SU Carp.Not a easy rod to brake must had taken some force as the butt ring was crushed. There was no damage to the tube. That was a packed in a heavy-duty drainpipe.Also, last month had a rod tube that arrived empty. Was a new rod that the seller replaced without question.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”