Who owns ?

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
SharkBoy
Perch

Who owns ?

Post by SharkBoy »

Hi guys I have been reading an article by Chris Yates who has said that his record carp was caught on a Walker “Don Baker” Avon rod ... does anyone know if the rod still survives? Cheers

Snape
Bailiff

Re: Who owns ?

Post by Snape »

It was sold at auction back in 2017 so it's still out there.

The listing read

"Lot No: 380
The Richard Walker hand-built Mk.IV Avon rod used by Chris Yates to catch the 1980 51lbs 8ozs British Record Redmire Carp - aka “”The Bishop”,
the rod, a MK.IV Avon was hand-built by Richard Walker and gifted to his friend and fishing companion Don Baker in 1953; specifications; measuring 9’11” (excluding male ferrule), green silk whipped (apparently ringed by Don Baker, the rod being supplied by R.W. as a blank), alloy screw grip reel fitting, red agate lined butt eye and tip ring (tip eye is a later replacement), full open bridge rings, stepped brass suction ferrule and faintly ink inscribed to butt section “Richard Walker Mk.IV” and “Don Baker”, the rod has a small, almost indiscernible repair to tip section where in the letter supplied with the rod C.Y. explains that he broke the tip whilst hand-lining a carp at Sheepwash, in later bag

£4000-6000

** The above rod represents one of the most import pieces of modern carp angling history to come to auction in the last two decades and is sold with a hand-written letter of provenance from Chris Yates on Golden Scale Club headed paper and dated 30th July 1997, giving details on its provenance, how he acquired the rod, the capture of the new British record carp along with other notable captures, including C.Y.’s first barbel; a Certificate of Authenticity from Angling Auctions (where the rod was previously sold in October 1997) and three excerpts from Anglers Mail and Angling Times pertaining to the sale of the rod in’97

In addition to the above provenance Chris Yates has kindly agreed to supply an updated letter and the successful buyer will have the opportunity to meet with Chris, either for a session of fishing or (in his words) “A nice cup of tea and chat at his cottage”"
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I'm trying to remember who sold and who bought the rod...I think it went from FWK88 to the Singing Milkman.....?

SharkBoy
Perch

Post by SharkBoy »

Cheers chaps I knew someone would have the info lol👍

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”