B James Mk 1V Avon Help. Sorted.

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Fredline
Tench

B James Mk 1V Avon Help. Sorted.

Post by Fredline »

This is a 1955 B James Mark 1V Avon that is missing a couple of rings. It has never been close whipped and is finished with red and green. I am having trouble matching the green as I want to get it right. Does anyone in TFFLand know what colour green B James used on their early Mk 1V Avons? Many thanks Fredline.
ImageImage

I used number 3 a mid green varnished with no sealant. A very good match.
Last edited by Fredline on Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: B James Mk 1V Avon Help.

Post by Beresford »

The green I've seen on a few original James rods is a dark olive shade that tends to go very dark with age – quite different to the bottle green of your restored rod. It may be a Clive Young restoration, my Harvey Torbett Avon is whipped in the same colours when it should really be red.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Fredline
Tench

Re: B James Mk 1V Avon Help.

Post by Fredline »

Beresford wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:10 pm The green I've seen on a few original James rods is a dark olive shade that tends to go very dark with age – quite different to the bottle green of your restored rod. It may be a Clive Young restoration, my Harvey Torbett Avon is whipped in the same colours when it should really be red.
I have been around rods long enough to know that this is all original and not a restoration, just no close whipping. Hardy produced a few with no close whipping and whipped in red and green. I remember Ashbycut bought one a few years ago. I believe in the adage "He who pays, says" and this rod is a classic case of that.It is not unique, just not very common.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”