Post by Mushy »

Looking great Wal, excellent workmanship :Hat:
Best Fishes
Mushy

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: B James Ealing. MK 1V restoration.

Post by Santiago »

Looking great! Is there a standard number of intermediates or does the number vary?
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Wow! That looks absolutely fantastic Wal.........nothing less than I expected from "Dr Cane"..... a true artisan in every respect. I shall raise a glass in your honour tonight mate! :cheers:
Thank you so much for agreeing to take the job on in the first place, I knew it would be a labour of love...... :Hat:

ps.........it's my shout for the next round mate :Thumb:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Santiago wrote:Looking great! Is there a standard number of intermediates or does the number vary?
I don't know Trevor, I think the rod finishers would have been given a set distance apart at certain intervals along the rod but I'm really not certain. The later rods had fewer intermediates but that was probably down to cost.

Wal.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Top draw as always Wal, don't envy anyone having to do those inters.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Fantastic!!!
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Dear Wall,You have done a brilliant job as usual,as I know your rod restoring is very good.Reelmaker

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Thanks everyone, very kind of you all.

I have been thinking lately (always a bad thing) and I think this is probably the best place to let you know I will be taking a rest from restoring rods once I get the present work load finished.
This is mainly to be able to get out and get some fishing done at this, the most pleasant time of the angling year.
I do intend all being well, to take on some more work in the winter months and I will probably still be doing the odd one in the mean time but not on the scale I have been doing them lately.

Thank you all for your very kind comments and for giving me the opportunity to work on some really lovely rods owned by some really lovely people. It is always a pleasure to exchange thoughts with each and every one of you.

p.s. I will be selling some really nice rods and reels from my collection soon and if its ok with Mark and crew I will be giving the TFF a first chance at them before I put them on ebay.

Regards
Wal.

Chris Ball
Bleak

Post by Chris Ball »

Wallys-Cast wrote:
Santiago wrote:Looking great! Is there a standard number of intermediates or does the number vary?
I don't know Trevor, I think the rod finishers would have been given a set distance apart at certain intervals along the rod but I'm really not certain. The later rods had fewer intermediates but that was probably down to cost.

Wal.
The multitude of intermediate whippings started to appear on MkIV Carp and Avon’s after B James first acquired a whipping machine. The versions you see of these rods that appeared in the mid 1950s is the onion handle with no shoulder collar. Just had a rough count of the above versions I have here and both have in excess of 350 intermediates - just crazy.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Chris Ball wrote:
Wallys-Cast wrote:

Wal.
The multitude of intermediate whippings started to appear on MkIV Carp and Avon’s after B James first acquired a whipping machine. The versions you see of these rods that appeared in the mid 1950s is the onion handle with no shoulder collar. Just had a rough count of the above versions I have here and both have in excess of 350 intermediates - just crazy.

Thanks for that Chris, I never knew there was such a thing as a rod whipping machine. I always thought the whipping was farmed out and mostly done by women at home, a sort of cottage industry.

Wal.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”