Its not a Paragon but could be Perfection !

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Mushy
Arctic Char

Re: Its not a Paragon but could be Perfection !

Post by Mushy »

Thanks for the feedback Aquaerial, getting quite excited now !
Best Fishes
Mushy

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I saw that and was tempted too...good job we didn't ed up in a bidding war :surrender: I think the whole rod had been partially refurbished .... there's pale areas around every rod ring and the ferrules.

Why not fish with it this season to make sure it's a good 'un and then fully re-build it in Winter? You could spread those rings around a little better and it won't look short at all. And you don't have to put inters back on it again.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Sound advice Nobby, thanks.....I'm always very impatient on a new rod that's fishable, have to get it out and put a bend in it as soon as possible !!!
Best Fishes
Mushy

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

That's a good idea, Mushy......refurbishing them and then finding it's got soft cane is heartbreaking...fish it first!

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Nobby wrote:That's a good idea, Mushy......refurbishing them and then finding it's got soft cane is heartbreaking...fish it first!
Hear hear !
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I've handled two or three KP's and no two has felt quite the same, I guess that can be said of many rods. I did fish with Fred Crouch's but the fish weren't biting that day :(

But for £102 you have plenty of manoeuvre room so I doubt you have wasted a penny of your cash.

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

I think you will be absolutely enthralled with it. Fingers crossed. Use it !

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Good luck, I've had three, two that were cosmeticaly good but felt awful and one I paid a fortune for and then had completely rebuilt as well because it just felt right :Thumb:

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Well its arrived gents and its not 'alf bad :huray:

The rod has been turned as it has a slight upward set (all straight otherwise) and the rings have all been re-whipped, but I think that's a good sign as why go to the trouble if the cane is shot ! Ferrules all Ok and fit nicely and the cork much better than expected, don't you just love that onion handle ! it must be the slimmist of all my rods, but I rather like it. The only downside, which I knew, is the original varnish has gone soft so at some time it will need a full strip and re-build, and all those inters will need re-placing :hairpull:

As to the action, well let's catch a tench or two and I'll let you know, but initial feel is good.

So thanks again to all for their interesting and supportive comments, I feel quite honoured in a strange sort of way to own such an iconic rod :Thumb:
Best Fishes
Mushy

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Welcome to the club, Sir. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”