James MKIV opens the batting.....

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Barbulus
Tench

James MKIV opens the batting.....

Post by Barbulus »

I had a few hours to myself this afternoon until teatime so time to try a different lake just a few minutes away....I have passed by it often enough but cannot for the life of me think why I haven't fished it before........between 2 and 3 acres....really attractive too.......

Unbelievably, I pulled into the car park to discover.....no-one....a glorious teatime with the sun lower in the sky and a slight breeze....beautiful....England at its Summer best.....what on earth are people doing ? Painting inside perhaps or maybe reading the Newspapers or maybe consoling after the footie result !

Out with the B James MKIV and some 5lb line........a scout around the lake confirms no-one there at all.....just some ducks and coots......oh....what's that ?........some rather large carp on the surface ................completely out of casting range for a floating bait but thinks......wait and look....

Time for a mug of tea and enjoy the beautiful scenery. Really relaxing........the minutes tick by and I feel quite at home....relaxed.....pretty kool with the world......another tea.....the coots very quick to grab any free offerings floated out to the carp but I keep trying......

A grass snake then "snakes" its way across the water toward me......Hmmmmmmmm......

Next a beautiful Kingfisher............stunning colour and that distinctive filght pattern.......

Another tea.....a Heron glides by and "spooks" the surface carp.......I still haven't even cast......

Oh......one of the larger fish has "peeled off" away from the basking group.......time to put a bait on the feelined hook......

Crawling along the bank barefoot......peer through the bankside reeds......a gentle overhead cast....rather good if I say so myself.....

Wait.....wait....wait........a large pair of lips breaks the surface film and the bait disappears......wait until it turns......lift the rod and.............we are connected........the line rips off the reel as it powers away to the centre of the pool leaving those characteristic "vortex" in the water.............but eventually........

..............Twenty one pounds of Common Carp.....the James MKIV now some 40 odd years old and still full of life and a great rod to cast a free lined floating bait.........what a lovely way to spend a few hours......now home and time for a glass of red wine and a BBQ and think maybe the World Cup in 2018.......

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: James MKIV opens the batting.....

Post by AshbyCut »

Very nice indeed, Sir. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Well done! Do you think it will handle some double figure Thames barbel?
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Very nice fish, well done
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Blimey a 20ib carp on 5 ib line, now that is a fine bit of angling Barbulus, well done and a nice write up also :Hat:
Best Fishes
Mushy

The Bishop
Perch

Post by The Bishop »

Superb Sir
Tight Lines

The Bishop

The Gods do not take from a life,the time one spends in fishing.

ExiledSoutherner
Gudgeon

Post by ExiledSoutherner »

Fantastic stuff, Barbulus. You definitely deserve another cup of tea for your efforts. :)

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

cor well done that man :Ok:

regards

bjp :Hat:

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

The perfect approach.