James MKIV opens the batting.....

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: James MKIV opens the batting.....

Post by AshbyCut »

Nicely done, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

The Coarse Season is now 12 days old and I have managed 6 relatively brief outings. This is the first year that, so far, I have used cane exclusively. It has been a revelation - and a great one too ! I shall however keep the other rods for the Winter pike fishing and maybe France and Spain if I can put aside some funds later !

Although I am not zealot like in my traditional fishing application, I have really enjoyed the reduction in pressure and the reduction in carrying loads too this year ! Just the one, or two, rods and, relatively light anyway, rucksack. A few hours and enjoy the "being there" as well as the fishing. As "Fennel" rightly states...."Unplug...Relax....Unwind...."

I have returned to one lake this year that I haven't fished in 30 plus years and have also "found" two other smaller lakes and pools which have proved delightful although definately Summer and Autmun only for them. I have also joined a new (for me) club with access to some 6 miles of the River Marden....much of it uncut banks and beautiful countryside.... that will allow some small river fishing....a complete contrast to previous seasons.....float fishing a river and wandering the banks..."roving style"....a chub here...a chub or a dace there....(I couldn't tell you the last time I caught a Dace until this year....)

So far, of the six outings this year, one was with a 10'6 "Avon" style float rod trotting handmade floats down the small river with not a soul in sight.....and five have been to three differing lakes and overgrown pools armed with a MKIV (or two).....no heavy bags or mass rod holdalls......a bag of bait....a couple of centrepins and taking the time now to enjoy the whole experience not just drive up, struggle across with tons of gear and fish....

Yesterday, I took just one MKIV and a centrepin back to the lake I met fellow TFF Member Chris Bettis the other week. I was there at about 0500 and had my first double off the surface at about 0545....a terrific Common that was stalked near some lily pads......followed an hour later by another double Common and then a particular hard fighting Mirror ! I also lost a very big Common at the last moment too... when the ESP hook bent (something I haven't had in years and years).....I was back home by 0900 and time for a cup of coffee and say "bye bye" to my wife as she had to go out to work.....oooops...."guilt" !

On five of the six outings so far......as I have been packing away the rod, I have found people walk by and stop and say ..."Wow"...."Haven't seen one of those in a while"...."Can I just hold that cane rod ?"....."Incredible...I thought it would be heavy but it is so light and balanced"....."Goodness, I have got one those in the garage. I must get it back out"...."Now that is proper fishing is that"......

So....what does it all mean ? Well. What it means so far is that I have managed to re-capture the pleasure from fishing.......with one exception I have not even weighed any of the double figure carp I have caught but have enjoyed the feel of the capture on the MKIV and then admired the fish before safely returning them. Fourteen double figure carp so far and a few hard fighting "singles" too ....from three different lakes and pools and all have been absolutely a delight to fall to freelined surface baits and an historic cane rod......not even a controller float....carp fishing as I think it should be. The positive comments on the James MKIV from even "hardned carp folk" suggests that there might well be an increasing "market" for a revival in split cane although I suspect that the enthusiasm will not extend to giving up the Nash Titan "bivvy" and its replacement with a "Bell Tent"......

So. thank you TFF for re-introducing me to fishing for pleasure again and thankyou to Mr James for the delight that I had forgotten until recently that truly is the James MKIV.......having been up rather early yesterday I am giving it a miss today......there again.....maybe just a few hours later if I sneak some more biscuits from the dogs food larder............

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

It does take some beating Barbulus - doesn't it?

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A wonderful start to your season, Sir. Well done indeed. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Superb start to the season :Hat:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Doing well Barbulus, Redmire should be a breeze !!
Best Fishes
Mushy

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Thank you Mushy for the vote of confidence ! Somehow I think I might need a car boot of lucky charms and talismans for Redmire but as SK says......confidence is the thing and the "being there" ! Now.....where is the can of kidney beans !

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”