Chub

Re: James MKIV opens the batting.....

Post by Gurn »

Good Stuff, A lovely way to catch a fine fish...I'm a bit jealous. :mrgreen:

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Thank you gentlemen - it was a very pleasant few hours there. Very relaxing and a time to unplug and unwind...if only briefly.

Santiago - well I have a rather nice (unnamed) cane Avon style rod that I have set aside for our forthcoming escapade and will match that with a centrepin. I think that will be ideal for any passing chub or roach and such like. I thought I might also bring with me a MKIV "kit rod" (newer) just in case a passing Barbel on the Thames might happen along and will probably match that with a centrepin as well. I think the two rods will cope with the Thames this time of year. I have a few different styles of hat as well dependant upon conditions......

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Great-- looking forward to seeing those rods. Hope your bringing some of that grounbait you described in another thread!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

After a well deserved rest overnight, "batting" resumed this morning with the B James MKIV and another gorgeous surface caught carp....a Mirror within the first thirty minutes having "stalked" the reed margins...... followed shortly after with another double Common........and the horrible Grrrrrrrrrrrr....throw the rod into the reeds sensation having lost two others.....I rather like these short sessions though of just a few hours...plenty of time left to enjoy the rest of the day doing lots of other things....like prepare for a car boot sale tomorrow......deep joy ! Image [img]

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Excelent report and a really nice looking carp. I' m amazed you could tame that carp on 5lb line :Hat:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

A centrepin and thru action rod helps as does an absence of lily beds and those roots !

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

A cracking tale and results to match - ear to ear grin with satisfaction - well done indeed.

Hexapin
Bleak

Post by Hexapin »

I think there is definitely a disadvantage with relying on a fixed spool reel drag to "give". There is an initial tug to break the inertia that can be the point at which smaller lines will snap. Whereas with centrepin there is no real (reel) inertia.

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Hexapin - I certainly agree that if one is margin type fishing then there can be some occasional difficulty with that "initial" burst when a powerful fish is hooked if using a fixed spool; not always of course but I do prefer the centrepin in these situations matched with the MKIV style of rod !

So. Yesterday I "discovered" a new (for me) water some 20 minutes away from me. This would be my third "new" lake since 16 June this year and all within a short drive. I had a few hours so took a couple of rods and a rucksack and a flask of tea together with some sweetcorn and "biscuits" just in case. I didn't really know what to expect other than from the OS map it looked to be about 2 - 3 acres maximum. I eventually found it down a little one track road...the iPhone "Satnav" signal not being sufficient to navigate.......a large country house nearby in that typical Cotswold style and down through two old iron cattle gates then continue down a track through some trees. I parked the car under a tree ( a small mistake as it turned out as my newly washed and polished car got "covered in "stuff" from the tree over the next few hours but a small price to pay to wash it off later !). I quietly closed the car door and set up a freelined MKIV for one rod and put one of Barney's "special" quills on the other for float fishing....just in case.....both centrepins one with 5lbs and one with 6lbs line....

I left the rods propped against the car and slowly started to wander along the banks and peer over the bankside vegetation. No-one there at all. It was a little piece of "heaven"....well one idea of "heaven" anyway that met my ideal ......small.....dare I say intimate.....a few swims cut out by whoever the owner was....but most of it left as nature intended.....I would say a very delicate and considered approach to management. It was clearly looked after sympathetically....just the right blend between management and natural......hopefully the following photographs give some impression of why this "new" pool was such a pleasant surprise for me yesterday.....really delightful...and in the Summer sunshine....carp and rudd showing on the top.....and even an old punt tied to a tree.....

Delightful I think you will agree and just the sort of place that I find captures the essence of carp fishing for me. Not that size is that important but there were a range of "doubles" showing on the surface as you might just be able to see from some of the photographs and.....after a few hours really relaxing fishing.....3 plump, hard fighting, "Commons" and one "Mirror" had succumbed to freelined floaters and the centrepin/MKIV combination again. I drove home contented and at peace with the World.

As a Postscript, I met the owner briefly as he walked his dog through the undergowth around the lake and congratulated him on his sensitive riparian management. He, like the pool and his obedient dog, were a true delight. I can't wait to go back - a little piece of "heaven" and all for just a few pounds; marvellous !

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

A very nice looking pool and a good catch :Thumb:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”