B James & Son London. Richard Walker Mk IV Avon

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: B James & Son London. Richard Walker Mk IV Avon

Post by Nobby »

An interesting rod indeed!

Green silk, wide inters, milky white agate butt ring. No transfers at all and hand-written.

It's most definitely not Walker's own writing and it is too confident a hand to be Jim Bruce's I think, though the style is correct. It might be his hand ..perhaps the first of the day when he was fresh to the task. I would have expected one of his rods to have both transfers though...the wrap-around gold James one and the diamond shaped 'built to endure' transfer next to it.

I see a well known collector wishing the seller good luck with the auction...I knew it was him the minute he wrote of high eBay fees... :Hahaha: ...perhaps he thinks it IS a Walker built rod, but it most definitely isn't Walker's handwriting for at least 5 reasons. I suppose it's best not to go into those reasons here on an open forum and I'm not a hand-writing expert, but I have worked with a few of them and I'm confident that Walker didn't do that writing...neither is he likely to write B.James on a rod he made himself....so it's not quite the Holy Grail.

Even Walker himself wrote that identifying such early rods was most difficult but what a chap does with his money is his business. Whatever it goes for I doubt it'll see the bankside again soon.......

In truth, without those missing transfers do we even know it's a B.James rod?

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Nobby wrote:An interesting rod indeed!

Green silk, wide inters, milky white agate butt ring. No transfers at all and hand-written.

It's most definitely not Walker's own writing and it is too confident a hand to be Jim Bruce's I think, though the style is correct. It might be his hand ..perhaps the first of the day when he was fresh to the task. I would have expected one of his rods to have both transfers though...the wrap-around gold James one and the diamond shaped 'built to endure' transfer next to it.

I see a well known collector wishing the seller good luck with the auction...I knew it was him the minute he wrote of high eBay fees... :Hahaha: ...perhaps he thinks it IS a Walker built rod, but it most definitely isn't Walker's handwriting for at least 5 reasons. I suppose it's best not to go into those reasons here on an open forum and I'm not a hand-writing expert, but I have worked with a few of them and I'm confident that Walker didn't do that writing...neither is he likely to write B.James on a rod he made himself....so it's not quite the Holy Grail.

Even Walker himself wrote that identifying such early rods was most difficult but what a chap does with his money is his business. Whatever it goes for I doubt it'll see the bankside again soon.......

In truth, without those missing transfers do we even know it's a B.James rod?
My thoughts too Nobby but some are obviously convinced.
It is definitely not Walker's writing as there is a letter which Walker wrote in a very distinctive way in his signature and it isn't in this signature....
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

As above there is no way on this earth, or any other, that that is Walker's hand, no possible way at all. Not unless he was under the influence. Now that fact may or may not matter but I'll guess the current bid is based on the assumption that it IS Walker's signature. Not that the rod may, or may not, be a very early James.

If it is genuine I'd really like to know the rough dates when they suddenly up their game and start applying hundreds of beautifully rendered intermediate whippings.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Very astute Beresford I would like to get Champs view I think we may have seen an original together in Somerset during March you lot are much more expert than I will ever be but the whippings do worry me they look to heavy but do know some people bidding and they are very seldom wrong.
In conclusion very confused and to my mind too much of a risk.
Bumble

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Last night this rod was up to £1290 with two equal bids at that amount.

Now I see bids have apparently been withdrawn and it is down to £1160.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Nobby wrote:Last night this rod was up to £1290 with two equal bids at that amount.

Now I see bids have apparently been withdrawn and it is down to £1160.
Looks like the bidder who retracted the £1290 yesterday has now bid again today and is top bidder again. :Confused:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Wierd!

I'm left wondering why it has such wide whippings, how old the varnish is...it looks pretty shiny and if an Avon would have been offered in green by B.James...wasn't that an earlier option?

Indeed, I'm unable to find out just when the Avon was first offered to the public, it's surely after the first two batches of Mark IVs that were signed by Jim Bruce and Richard Walker.

Interesting to go right through the seller's feedback to the beginning....it seems Vicky is a feller after all.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

How come the seller says it's his grandfather's rod but he doesn't know who LB Smith is (the engraved name on the butt). So either he's a porky or the rod might be a kit rod made up by Mr Smith. Otherwise if this is an early original then perhaps Mr Smith was the original owner and not this chaps grandfather. Either way 'tis too much of a mystery for the money. However, perhaps this Mr L B Smith has a Walker connection that has yet to be considered!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Well it's definitely not Walker's signature so I can't see a connection bar the rod design.

It might be Jim Bruce senior's....I've found a few more examples and they do vary a lot. Particularly in the punctuation of the "Mk " and "IV".

At the very best, it's a specially built pre-production Avon where green silk and agate rings has been specified, but I can't understand those wide inters......B.James prided themselves on their inters......

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”