JB Walker MkIV's distinguishing features

The J. B. Walker Rods forum.
Santiago
Wild Carp

JB Walker MkIV's distinguishing features

Post by Santiago »

While the iron is hot, so to speak! There seems to be a lot of interest in MKIVs and Southwell blanks at the moment, and from various sources I've read that Southwell supplied JB Walker with blanks for the MKIV kit rods that they sold. I do'nt know the years or any other details or if this is others conjecture!

Anyways, what I would like to know is what are the distinguishing features of a JB Walker MKIV kit rod that might set it apart from other MKIV's from other companies (where the logos have been removed etc.)??? Did they still have a compound taper?? Is it the dark steely cane with glue lines/splits near the nodes???

A few folk on here say they have a JB Walker MKIV kit rod, but without a logo on the rod (unless you bought it knew etc,) just how does one know????
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: JB Walker MkIV's distinguishing features

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Trevor,
I don't think you can say for certain unless it has a label or some sort of provenance, some of them are obviously amateur built with poor whippings and uneven cork handles etc but others are a very professional standard and probably built up by other tackle dealers at the request of customers or to display in the shop window.
They all catch fish though so its real purpose in life has been fulfilled no matter what it looked like.

I was lucky enough to buy two from a chap about 20 years ago who built them up himself in the 1950s, I even got the catalogue he ordered them from with original sales receipt and a new order form. Sadly I sold them both a few years ago and let the buyer have the paperwork with the rods. Another thing that seemed like a good idea at the time but in hindsight was a big mistake..

Wal.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Thanks Wal. That's kind of what I thought, but I'm still not sure about the story of the compound taper on the carp versions! Was that specific to B James or did the JB Walker kit rods have them as well??

Now I have a digtal caliper I must measure mine!!!

Hemingway

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

It's probably true to write that B. James didn't always build MkIV's to Walker's taper. Certainly their MkIV Avon doesn't seem at all like Walker's taper given the other Avons I've inspected, built by others even more recently, that are true to Walker's intentions for the rod. It's also well recorded that as the quality of the raw material imported into the UK started to deteriorate James increased the taper to compensate.

My own view, for what it's worth (not a lot I know) is that the rods produced by those companies who tended to be very active in and perhaps more associated with producing rods for game fisherman, may of also produced the best of the MkIVs made in the later 1950's and 60s.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Thanks Beresford

So did any other company build Walkers compound taper on their MKIV carp versions? And was it included in the JB Walker kit version of the carp (certainly the JB Walker 1952 catologue doesn't metion any taper, compound or other, so one is left guessing)

Hemingway

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

From my scant knowledge I'd say Sharpes certainly didn't use Walker's taper for their rod the "Carp" or their "Avon". I've always had a hunch that they used a spinning rod taper for the Carp, but I can't prove that though.

I'd say Hardy's almost certainly did use Walker's taper on the 50's rod and most certainly did on the 60's rods. If you handle a Hardy Avon it is quite different to the James rod that is slower and heavier. The Shaun Lindsey Avon felt even lighter still but I was assured it was built to Walkers taper and these things are so subjective anyway – how do we/I really know when just handling a rod without fishing with it (that might give a clue) or measuring the taper. I'd also question how accurately it's possible to measure the taper of a finished rod - I don't know.

Olivers adapted the MKIV Avon but decided it deserved to be called it the MkV. The only two examples I've seen suggested that the rod was faster to recover in the tip section but that may have been down to the cane quality as much as the taper. In short without measuring rods or at least casting a few times with them I've no idea how we'd ever know.

I have two new builds both MkIV Carp rods that I'm told are made to Walker's taper and I like them a lot, they are brilliant for casting light baits and I'm certain they have that 'hinge'. However, there's cane carp rod I prefer for general use and stalking when there aren't bad snags that doesn't seem to have the hinge hidden in its taper.

I've often seen suspected J B Walker blanks made up into rods but never bought one and have no idea if they used Walker's taper or not or how they may have altered over time.

Why to do you ask? Are you really keen to get a true Walker style MkIV?

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I ask because I think I have one. It has all the dimensions of a JB Walker kit rod (carp) and I've just compared it's taper to Dick Walker's (as published in JB Walker's book, Rods:How to make them) and have found they are the same, with the last 18" giving a quick step taper.

Interesting the cane is dark, very steely, the nodes are not smooth, and there are glue lines especially near the nodes, and the hex through both sections is a tad unsymmetrical. And indian ink is written Mark IV 1956 and the name/initials RAY.

But the rod having no logo on is a mystery!

Hemingway

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Well it sounds like a good rod if it's steely, that is what I'd look for when buying a second hand rod. Of course the opposite can be true where a 'renovated' rod has a logo that it perhaps doesn't deserve!

I'm sure there are forum members who would be able to tell you if the rod was JB Walker if they were to see it.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Thanks Beresford! One day I may bring it to a meeting or take it to a vintage tackle fair for confirmation!

viewtopic.php?f=192&t=11200

Hemingway

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ted Oliver tells me that Southwell refused to supply built cane exclusively to B.James as he didn't want to put all his eggs in one basket, prefering to supply other companies as well. I can't help but think he wouldn't risk his reputation by sending out cane with gaps and glue marks, either.

Equally, I can't see J B Walker sending out gappy cane in one of his kits.

Might it not simply be a home-built rod by a determined hobbyist?

Return to “J. B. Walker Cane Rods”