JB Walker MkIV's distinguishing features

The J. B. Walker Rods forum.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: JB Walker MkIV's distinguishing features

Post by Santiago »

If it is then they did a very good job and made it exactly to Walker's specification including the compound taper, with excellent dark steely cane! According to what GOS wrote on another forum (The Path) my description of my MKIV matches perfectly to a number of JB Walker kit MKIVs he's had. But you might be right Nobby; all the same it'll catch! I'll get an expert opinion when I can!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

David
Dace

Post by David »

Hi. I know this is an old subject but can anyone inform me please. What components actually came in a J B Walker kit MK1V Carp rod ?

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

If you have a J B Walker kit you can rest assured the blank will be rather different in feel as you say steelier in action and have a far better memory facility when returning to true. (Not as floppy). Outside of the blank and tapers aside the other factor to consider are the rings, butt ring in particular was very different to the James’ - but such was James profile a fair few home builders purchased their ring sets. However if it’s an average to poor build chances are it will be a JB. Whether you have one or not it sounds like a good piece of cane all the same.

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Peter Wilde
Rudd

Post by Peter Wilde »

David wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:08 pm Hi. I know this is an old subject but can anyone inform me please. What components actually came in a J B Walker kit MK1V Carp rod ?
Hi. I have a JB Walker kit rod - and I know it is one, as I bought it and completed the rod in 1969. Mine is a S/U Mk IV, not the Mk IV Carp, as I got it with pike fishing in mind. However I am confident the kits for the Carp version would have contained the same components. From memory, my kit included:

The split-cane two section blank
Ferrules (good quality with serrated ends to be whipped over; but not having the bulge in the middle of the female where other makers like B James reinforced their ferrules)
Sufficient bored corks to make a long cork handle
Butt fitting with rubber button
Reel fittings (plain duralumin sliding bands were standard, but one could opt for a screw fitting at extra cost)
Rod rings set (plain chromed, rather wide low bells type rings for intermediates, plus agate lined butt and tip rings. There was a de-luxe option to have lined agate rings throughout)
Whipping thread (nylon, to ones chosen colour. I am not sure if they supplied enough for intermediate whippings - I decided not to attempt this on my rod, following the great R.W. dictum that with modern glues, intermediate whippings on cane were just unnecessary weight).
Two different varnishes, for the rod itself and for the whippings
Glue
A useful booklet produced by JB Walker on rod building for the practical angler.

All the above came in a strong cardboard box, and even included some lengths of whole cane to add strength to the package; a nice bonus as I used mine to make a net handle!

This kit was a good purchase which I never regretted; as a schoolboy I was able to finish it without difficulty if a bit crudely for the whippings! The rod is still useable today. My only wish now is that I would have done ever better to choose the Carp version. The S/U Mk IV is really a bit of a stiff beast, and I would have found more uses over the years for the classic, and nicer to use Mk IV.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Peter Wilde wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:05 pm
David wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:08 pm Hi. I know this is an old subject but can anyone inform me please. What components actually came in a J B Walker kit MK1V Carp rod ?
Hi. I have a JB Walker kit rod - and I know it is one, as I bought it and completed the rod in 1969. Mine is a S/U Mk IV, not the Mk IV Carp, as I got it with pike fishing in mind. However I am confident the kits for the Carp version would have contained the same components. From memory, my kit included:

The split-cane two section blank
Ferrules (good quality with serrated ends to be whipped over; but not having the bulge in the middle of the female where other makers like B James reinforced their ferrules)
Sufficient bored corks to make a long cork handle
Butt fitting with rubber button
Reel fittings (plain duralumin sliding bands were standard, but one could opt for a screw fitting at extra cost)
Rod rings set (plain chromed, rather wide low bells type rings for intermediates, plus agate lined butt and tip rings. There was a de-luxe option to have lined agate rings throughout)
Whipping thread (nylon, to ones chosen colour. I am not sure if they supplied enough for intermediate whippings - I decided not to attempt this on my rod, following the great R.W. dictum that with modern glues, intermediate whippings on cane were just unnecessary weight).
Two different varnishes, for the rod itself and for the whippings
Glue
A useful booklet produced by JB Walker on rod building for the practical angler.

All the above came in a strong cardboard box, and even included some lengths of whole cane to add strength to the package; a nice bonus as I used mine to make a net handle!

This kit was a good purchase which I never regretted; as a schoolboy I was able to finish it without difficulty if a bit crudely for the whippings! The rod is still useable today. My only wish now is that I would have done ever better to choose the Carp version. The S/U Mk IV is really a bit of a stiff beast, and I would have found more uses over the years for the classic, and nicer to use Mk IV.
If memory serves didn't SU kit have a 30" handle and one less ring?
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Dokterhoo
Dace

Post by Dokterhoo »

Hi,
Here are some pics of my named J.B.Walker rods - a MkIV and a S/U MkIV to give you an idea of the fittings etc. Sorry for quality.
Hope they help in identifications.

Dok

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

David
Dace

Post by David »

Hi Dokterhoo I have completely rebuilt my JBW MK1V Carp rod in medium green with yellow tippings to the whippings and medium green intermediates. I also included a ferrule that is just like the B James ferrules that I purchased from Agutters. I have not yet fished it, but it feels great in the hand with either Mitchell 300 or a Youngs centrepin. I also have two JBW MK1V SU Kit rods which I have also rebuilt in the same colour scheme. They all feel better than the 6 B James & Son MK!V Carp and SU rods I also have. Thank you for your info.

Return to “J. B. Walker Cane Rods”