Postage cost

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Postage cost

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Steve, that could be the answer to a couple of broken rods I have received and one with a section missing.
One had a dented tube but both sections were snapped in half and no where near the dent in the tube.

Wal

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:40 pm Even total loss is not insured when sending vintage or antique rods. They will ask for the original receipt and only pay out what the rod originally cost.
Restoration costs are not insurable nor are ebay auction items.
UPS are the most reliable with a good track record in my books but don't add extra insurance, its just wasted money as they will not insure fishing rods. Yes they will ask if you want extra insurance but read the terms and conditions and you will see they have no intention of paying out if they can class the item as antique, which they will.
Parcelforce 48 are probably the cheapest if the tube is under 1.5m long but here once again, dont add insurance as they dont insure fishing rods and if any of you have ever tried to claim from the Royal Mail you will know that they just send you round and round in circles until you either give up or actually take them to court to get your money.

Choose your courier and double tube the rod or use a very strong tube. Well padded inside to withstand being dropped from a wagon or walked over, kneeled on in the back of a wagon.

Good luck.
Wal.
Thanks Wal for posting - I had no idea they would not pay out - I naturally assumed that by stating the value and paying the extra on insurance to cover it they would - after all is that not what insuring is all about. You state the value and insure against it.
As for a receipt I do not know of many people who keep these ad-infinitum. I have never been keen on tube posting however strong the tube may be - I may now give it a miss altogether.

Peter
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I remember one chap who took royal mail to court when they lost his antique clock and they asked for the original receipt as the item is no longer available in the shops so they would only refund his postage fees.
He said I notice the post office is now doing house insurance. My house is now worth 300,000 but only cost me 80,000. How much do you pay out if the house is lost in a fire.

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

I'd take a look at the various parcel brokers and compare prices, I tend to use RM or Parcel Force where I can. It is probably worth photographing the packed rod, if possible I'd add marked tape or a sticker to indicate if the parcel has been opened during transit and should the rod arrive damaged in unscathed packaging I'd certainly be contacting the courier with photographic evidence, it is possible to track the movement of items sent via couriers these days in terms of the different depots and with some companies you can even contact the indivdual depot, deliveries made by the more reputable companies sometime even tell you the name of the driver. Based on previous experience for personal and work deliveries I'd avoid Yodel at all costs.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Wal – thank you for the detailed information. The last cane rod I sold I decided to drive the 60 odd miles to deliver it in person as I thought that was the safest option of all. Were I ever to have to sell a rod again I think I'd do the same.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Dom Andrew
Rudd

Post by Dom Andrew »

Gosh, I hadn't realized there was such a big problem with posting rods - what with them being deliberately broken etc.
What if there is no indication on the parcel what is inside, with no obvious tackle dealer address or logo on the tube?

Dom. :readnews:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Dom Andrew wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:20 pm Gosh, I hadn't realized there was such a big problem with posting rods - what with them being deliberately broken etc.
What if there is no indication on the parcel what is inside, with no obvious tackle dealer address or logo on the tube?

Dom. :readnews:
Yes Dom with Parcelforce you can but all other couriers include the description of what is inside the tube on the printed label.

Wal.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”