Hardy "The Expert"

The Hardy Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Hardy "The Expert"

Post by AshbyCut »

Soon to be joining me is this Hardy "The Expert," a 13ft. rod described in the 1955 Super Bottom Fishing Tackle as "A really quick striking rod for the Match Angler who must have absolute control throughout his contest. "

Control ??? Me ??? :Hahaha:

Numbered G 36030 ... dating it to the late 1950's, I believe. More pictures when it arrives.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: Hardy "The Expert"

Post by Harry H »

I would presume it would be 1958 onwards as that when charles became the Prince of Wales, lovely looking rod :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

He was 10!

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Yes he wasn't the first Prince of Wales! His investiture was in the Sixties.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Catfish.017 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:26 pm Yes he wasn't the first Prince of Wales! His investiture was in the Sixties.
He was given the title in 1958 and the previous P of W became king in 1936 so the P of W title becomes vacant as I understand
it, so as far as i know he's the only one we've had between 1955-62 when the Expert was catalogued.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Another fine addition to your collection.

Well done Mal.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Does the Royal "By Appointment" carry on after the demise of said Prince of Wales?

From Hardy's History on their internet page:-
Hardys had a talent for innovation and one of the firm's many firsts was a patent on the full bail arm, which was introduced on their Altex spinning reel in 1932. It wasn't long before Hardy's products had gained worldwide fame and royal warrants were rained upon them, the company having held at least ten in its time. Some funny things happened along the way, including a letter which finally got to Alnwick having been addressed to "Hardys, c/o the King, England" and a birthday telegram from King George V, who, having been reminded that Thomas Hardy's birthday was approaching, absent-mindedly sent the message to his favourite tackle manufacturer instead of the nation's favourite novelist.

Royal Warrants:-
https://www.royalwarrant.org/company/hardy-greys-ltd

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Looks to be a lovely example and at 13ft a little different from the norm! :Ok:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Not the best start to my day !!! Though My Fair Lady and I were here, and the doorbell did not ring, the Parcelforce driver delivered the rod tube to my next door neighbour this morning.

The rod tube ... NOT the rod !!! The tape cap at one end of the tube was completely missing ... and the contents gone !!!

After many vain attempts to contact Parcelforce customer services by phone ... there is no number available to actually speak to someone ... I found I could 'talk' to a representative via Twitter.

Having set up a Twitter account (the site wouldn't accept my landline number as appropriate ... only my mobile), I found Parcelforce and sent a message with the photo above, and after a few moments received this reply ...

"I'm sorry to hear that, was the parcel sent in a box as all items sent with us need to be boxed? Please inform the sender of this and request that they send a replacement item out to you-Stephen"

My response was "Disgraceful lack of customer service !!!!!!!!!!"

Needless to say, I had already contacted the seller, and she is starting investigations at her end.

Time will tell if the matter is resolved.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

The tube is a dead give away to delivery drivers who wish to supplement their income by selling stolen goods on the Web. I've collected the rods I have recently bought to avoid the theives. How sickening :-(

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”