Hardy's "The Lightweight. Thames Style" 13ft.

The Hardy Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Hardy's "The Lightweight. Thames Style" 13ft.

Post by AshbyCut »

So ... fishing isn't allowed for now !!! Well ... they can't stop us dreaming ... or planning for the day when we can return to the bank SAFELY !!! I'm in the loop for the vaccine in the next couple of months (all being well) ... so I'm plotting "The Return of the Tiddler Snatcher ... Again !!!"

I think I may have won this on a 'maiden bid' because the seller hinted they thought it had a 'replacement tip' ... but it arrived today ... and I'm excited to have it.

This is a Hardy's "The Lightweight Thames Style," with the serial number G21866, which by the list I have shows it was built in 1939.

The Hardy Super Bottom Tackle catalogue for that year describes it in detail ...

This is the 13ft. version, comprising a whole cane butt with a 25 1/2 inch handle (without button) ... whole cane butt ... whole cane spliced to whole cane centre ... and split cane Palakona cane tip. It comes with the original bag, and stoppers.

The catalogue says it weighs 15 ounces ... mine, missing the button, weighs in at 12.15 ounces.

Particularly exciting is the fact that it bears the retailers badge for Albert Sharp and Sons, Coventry ... whose shop was only 3,9 miles from my house ... AND ... it arrived to me from Southam, less than 16 miles from me ... so it seems the rod has probably spent it's whole life in Warwickshire.

Now ... for that 'replacement tip' question !!! All I can say is ... the guides throughout the rod are identical in style, the ferrule sets all bear the same stamped "3." The whippings are identical, and the whipping above the male ferrule on the tip looks total undisturbed. What IS different ... the tip guide has no whipping beneath it, and has been replaced by a 'modern' threaded one for a swing tip. As it seems the seller is a general "antiques'' dealer from all the items currently being sold ... I think this may be why they came to that conclusion.

This is my first "Thames Style" rod ... so I didn't know what they meant in the description by 'quick action' as opposed to the 'Sheffield style.' When I slipped the tip from it's bag ... I did a double take ... and rushed for my micrometer !!!

I measured every 4 inches along it's 46 1/4 inch length, from the ferrule end to as close to the tip guide as I could get ... and the results ...

6.98mm .. 6.98mm ... 6.96mm ... 6.49mm ... 5.72mm ... 4.90mm ... 4.06mm ... 3.36mm ... 3.04mm ... 2.69mm ... 2.43mm ... 1.86mm.

Virtually straight for the first foot ... then a sharp reduction of 2.9mm over the next 16 inches ... then 1.50mm over the next 20 inches.

Compound taper ??? Or is that what Hardy meant when they talked about "quick" action ... and why they differentiated between the "split bamboo (Thames Style)" and "built bamboo (Sheffield Style)" in the catalogue.

Hardy experts to the fore, please !!!

Anyway ... whether it's a 'replacement tip' or not ... it's ideal for what I have planned for it (more on which later !!! :Wink:)
Last edited by AshbyCut on Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Champ
Chub

Re: Hardy's "The Lightweight Thames style) 13ft.

Post by Champ »

I have used both the Thames and Sheffield style Hardy rods.The Thames is much stiffer than the Sheffield.The Sheffield though tippy,has a slightly more through action and is a delightful rod.I had a rod clear out about eighteen months ago but may have both still.I must get them out for a "play" indoors. :Wink: .

Fredline
Tench

Re: Hardy's "The Lightweight. Thames Style" 13ft.

Post by Fredline »

You wait for ever for 1 of these Mal and then 2 appear at once. I have just bought this 11' Hardy Lightweight from John Andrews. It was not in the best of condition hence the state of restoration. But it is as straight as the day it came from the shop and a joy to "waggle". It carries the serial number G20771. I will post pictures when I have finished it.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Fredline wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:03 pm You wait for ever for 1 of these Mal and then 2 appear at once. I have just bought this 11' Hardy Lightweight from John Andrews. It was not in the best of condition hence the state of restoration. But it is as straight as the day it came from the shop and a joy to "waggle". It carries the serial number G20771. I will post pictures when I have finished it.
:Thumb:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Nice one Mal, no catching carp on this one, you know what happened to the last one :Hahaha:

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Fredline wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:03 pm You wait for ever for 1 of these Mal and then 2 appear at once. I have just bought this 11' Hardy Lightweight from John Andrews. It was not in the best of condition hence the state of restoration. But it is as straight as the day it came from the shop and a joy to "waggle". It carries the serial number G20771. I will post pictures when I have finished it.
The final product. I had trouble matching the shade of the cane so after colouring it twice I gave up and carried on. It is a little beauty and will be used next week.
ImageImage
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

That looks great John, worth all of the effort! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Looking forward to a full report of it's performance !!! :Hat:

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”