Hardy/Allcocks

The Hardy Rods forum.
AntiqueAngler
Gudgeon

Hardy/Allcocks

Post by AntiqueAngler »

Picked up a Hardy Wallis Avon rod today but along with it came the most unusual Allcock's Gladiator fly rod,greenheart bottom/middle section but top is made of solid glass,fitted with spiral rings throughout.This top section is 6 inch shorter,never come across anything like It?

StefanDuma
Grayling

Re: Hardy/Allcocks

Post by StefanDuma »

I had a rod with a solid glass top, I was really proud of it when I first had it but I think it was a bit of a dogs dinner.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

I must admit I have a soft spot for solid glass rods. My first 'rod'? was a five foot top section of a sea rod in solid glass; rescued from oblivion at a notorious fly tipping location, it had a long split down half its length but served me for s 'fish less' couple of months. Next came a Milbro Spinwell later to be swapped for a three piece 9' bamboo and glass boys bottom rod. I now have examples of both these rods and they get a few outings each season. I just love that translucent Ivory/green colour complemented superbly by red whippings.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I think the glass top is a replacement. A lot of rods ended up with glass tops after the original was broken.
Here's the description from a 1956 Allcocks anglers guide.

The Hardy Wallis Avon is of course a much sought after rod and one of many anglers favourites. A much copied design as it is a great allrounder.

Wal.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Would like to see your Wallis rod, do you know what year it was made?

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”