Hardy Wanless 9/10lb version

The Hardy Rods forum.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Hardy Wanless 9/10lb version

Post by Mark »

Late last week I managed to find and purchase 1959 Hardy Wanless 9/10lb version, 8 foot in length and in lovely condition. It should be delivered tomorrow so at some point I shall upload a few pictures and hopefully at the weekend put a slight bend in it.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Hardy Wanless 9/10lb version

Post by AshbyCut »

Excellent, Sir ... looking forward to seeing the pics.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Looking forward to the pics Mark, particularly since I have no idea what this is :think:
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

First trip out with a seven foot Wanless 6lb yesterday.Managed six perch and a rudd!.All on Mepps Aglia spinners.It was a most enjoyable evening.Took a light shoulder bag,net,rod and reel.Oh the reel was a Hardy Altex No 2 a little on the large size for the rod i thought.The combination worked very well though.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

champ wrote:First trip out with a seven foot Wanless 6lb yesterday.Managed six perch and a rudd!.All on Mepps Aglia spinners.It was a most enjoyable evening.Took a light shoulder bag,net,rod and reel.Oh the reel was a Hardy Altex No 2 a little on the large size for the rod i thought.The combination worked very well though.
Wanless 6lb is one of my favourite rods for fishing small streams and rivers for chub and perch.
I once had a 4lb barbel on in fast water and only just got it in as it has no backbone whatsoever!
Used my 9/10lb Wanless for extreme stalking at Redmire this week it being 6' 10" It allows you to scramble through dense foliage and into the trickiest of swims. Had a few heart stopping missed takes whilst fishing from willow tree in the extreme shallows with the carp churning up the silt at my feet.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

The rod arrived today, here a few pictures. I can't wait to try it out.

Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Looks wonderful Mark. Looking forward to hearing about its conquests.
By the way you'll have St John chasing after you as he wants one too.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Waterlogged

Post by Waterlogged »

Could any of you fine chaps enlighten me as to the difference between a Wanless and Palakona rod ?

I often see these names used but have no idea what they are. :think:

after all, everyday's a school day :wink:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think the Wanless is a rod named after an angler, possibly a chap famous for spinning once? Whereas Palakona would appear to be Hardy's tradename for their female cane, not dissimilar to Tonkin.

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Nobby wrote:I think the Wanless is a rod named after an angler, possibly a chap famous for spinning once? .
Yup - Alexander Wanless. Wrote several books about "threadline spinning" (and fly-fishing using a controller).

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”