Early Gold Medal

The Hardy Rods forum.
Silfield
Brown Trout

Early Gold Medal

Post by Silfield »

Morning,
I have an early Hardy Gold medal fly rod which I think is in original condition and has the date stamp of 50216, which dates it just prior to 1900. Both tips are straight and the correct length, whippings are sound and there is no damage to the rod at all which is quite remarkable considering it was made well before the first manned flight!
What is interesting is the rod holder, which fits the rod perfectly and is a good fit in the bag. The bag incidentally has no divisions or evidence of any previous longitudinal stitching so I can only assume it is period. Does anyone know if the wooden holder was offered as an optional extra at the time of purchase? I have seen something similar offered as an option on a slightly later Milwards advert as well as on Thomas Turners website where there is a later G prefix Gold Medal rod with a similar holder.
One thing that is amiss on the rod is that the W reel fitting has been repositioned an inch or two lower than its usual place, evident by the small cork plugs where the screw holes were, going by the patina, this is a very old modification.
If anyone can offer any info on the holder it would be appreciated.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Silfield
Brown Trout

Re: Early Gold Medal

Post by Silfield »

Forgot to post this one!
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

It’s very attractive, I would guess a very soft feel to it but a lovely through action when attached to even a modest size fish
Dave

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Thanks Dave,
I brought it years ago with the intention of restoring and using it but on closer inspection it doesn't need any restoration and I dare not use it!
Washington Irving

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”