Hardy "The No. 1 Wallis Rod"

The Hardy Rods forum.
Coral Maestro
Chub

Hardy "The No. 1 Wallis Rod"

Post by Coral Maestro »

Here is a heavily restored "The No. 1 Wallis Rod". It's 11ft 8in made up, whole cane butt and middle section, split cane tip with dark green whippings. The handle is short at 16in and is furnished with a "Hardy Reg'd Universal Reel Holder" and a single alloy reel band. The reel holder seems to have been moved as there are 4 screw holes about 3in above the current position. It has a wooden butt button. The winding check and butt cap look like brass so I'm wondering if the reel holder and alloy reel band are original.
The serial number (which is difficult to read) is 43961 (I think!) This would put the date of manufacture as 1899? This seems a bit early!

What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Re: Hardy "The No. 1 Wallis Rod"

Post by Wagtail »

Hi CM :Hat:

43961 is the date code for 1899 but it wouldn't be for this rod. That code would be for an all split cane rod, yours is classed as 'mixed materials' (bamboo and split cane) and it should therefore be prefixed by the letter G.

So either the 43961 is correct (in which case it has been taken from a different rod) or the 4 is in fact a G, giving G3961 which is for 1929. I'm by no means any kind of expert on Hardy rods but that seems a more likely date. I think you are right about the reel fittings being replacements too, my pre war Hardys all have brass fittings. As for the rings the tip looks original though I suspect the butt ring is also a replacement. I'm sure someone with far more knowledge will come along to advise you further.

One worry for me is that the handwriting doesn't look quite 'right'.... but that may be paranoia on my part! Whatever the case if it handles well and feels right to you what is there not to like :Thumb:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”