My main birthday present to me !!!

The Hardy Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

My main birthday present to me !!!

Post by AshbyCut »

Just managed to acquire this ... a Hardy Bros. "The Lightweight" "Sheffield Style."

11ft., 3 piece, with whole cane butt and centre sections and a split cane tip ... with it's original bag. The main attraction is it's weight of 8.5oz., with a fast action tip ... so may prove to be an ideal tiddler-snatcher/crucian rod.

Serial number is G 12622 ... so I'll leave it to the Hardy experts here to date it for me. (A document I have seen about G designated rods ... meaning rods of composite materials rather than all of one material ... dates it to 1934 ... but I stand to be corrected !)

I'll update when it arrives.

Last edited by AshbyCut on Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Troydog
Tench

Re: My main birthday present to me !!!

Post by Troydog »

Crumbs AC - I wont tell you what I fish with.......
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Troydog wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:24 pm Crumbs AC - I wont tell you what I fish with.......
Oh, go on Sir !!! Don't tease !!! :Wink:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Lovely rod Mal and many happy returns .
It does have a 30's look about it?
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

Happy birthday Mal - another fine acquisition 👍

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I think every day is a birthday for you Mal - but another great find.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Mal, Happy Birthday :Hat: ... is that your new carp rod? :Wink:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Wagtail wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:31 pm Mal, Happy Birthday :Hat: ... is that your new carp rod? :Wink:
Thanks to all for your good wishes for my birthday on the 21st. :Hat:

I'm delighted to say that the magician Wal has taken the rod under his care, and hopes that he may be able to deliver it to me at the TFF Crucian Day at Stockton Reservoir ... assuming that I'm not in enforced lock-down when that day comes around !!!!

Wagtail, Sir ... good fortune permitting my attendance, I shall ensure that I'm using a much more delicate hook link than the 3lb. of past experience !!!!! 12oz.on a size 20 hook may be called for !!!

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

AshbyCut wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:20 pm
Wagtail wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:31 pm Mal, Happy Birthday :Hat: ... is that your new carp rod? :Wink:
Thanks to all for your good wishes for my birthday on the 21st. :Hat:

I'm delighted to say that the magician Wal has taken the rod under his care, and hopes that he may be able to deliver it to me at the TFF Crucian Day at Stockton Reservoir ... assuming that I'm not in enforced lock-down when that day comes around !!!!

Wagtail, Sir ... good fortune permitting my attendance, I shall ensure that I'm using a much more delicate hook link than the 3lb. of past experience !!!!! 12oz.on a size 20 hook may be called for !!!
A.C., Sir let us hope that by then the worst will have passed and we can all enjoy a day out in the sun. I'm hoping to have found enough time to finish restoring my 1938 Hardy Match Roach, in readiness for some crucians, and will be taking similar anti-carp measures to protect it :Wink: :Thumb:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The rod is back, having greatly benefited from the tender ministrations of Dr. Cane ... and needless to say it's a delight.

The original tip and butt rings have been beautifully restored, and all the intermediated replaced with new. The fresh varnish and new guides have increased the weight ... from 8.5oz. to 8.6oz. (244gr.) ... but I think I can handle that !!! :Chuckle:

Many thanks again to Wal for all his work.

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”