LRH "0" - question for owners about rings

The Hardy Rods forum.
Wagtail
Arctic Char

LRH "0" - question for owners about rings

Post by Wagtail »

Gents, if you are lucky enough to own such a wee beastie with original ringing, can you help with a couple of questions please?

What is the diameter of the steel butt ring? The ring on the one I'm looking at is 28mm diameter and heavy wire, it looks huge in comparison to the rest of the rod (it matches the ring on an LRH 3) although the whippings look original and undisturbed. In comparison the LRH 1 that I've seen has a butt ring 22mm though still heavy steel wire.

Also please can you confirm that the inters on the LRH 0 were regular chrome bridge rings and not lined ones as per the 1,2,3 models? ...and can you post a picture of the tip ring?

Many thanks
Wagtail :Hat:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: LRH "0" - question for owners about rings

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Alex,
I don't own a LRH 0 but the 1s,2s and 3s all have the large diameter butt ring which is 28mm outside diameter and made of Monel which is a kind of hard wearing marine grade stainless.

I did own an early, 1941 LRH 2 which had a smaller diameter Monel butt ring. See pic below which also shows the Corbett tip ring as fitted to most LRH rods.

The large diameter Monel butt rings were also fitted to some of the Wanless spinning rods.

The intermediate rings are generally smoky coloured agates in low mounted nickel frames but I really don't know for certain about the No0 LRH..

Wal.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have 5 LRH 2s, all the intermediate rings are the same.

However but the butt and tip rings vary upon date made and/or whether they are replacements due to previous breakages.

I have a copy of the 1957 catalogue where the '0' is not mentioned.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Five LRH 2!!! Have you ever used four of them all at once? : )
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Thanks for your input, Gents :Hat:

Wal it is reassuring to know that your LRH 2 had a smaller ring, which looks identical to the one on the LRH 1.

This is a picture of the tip ring from the LRH0.. which is similar to those on the other models but not identical. All of the other LRH 0 rings looked to have their original whippings except for this one, so can't be sure it isn't a replacement. The liner is grooved and cracked, so if not original I might as well replace with another ring, but if original then it could be worth trying to have the liner replaced.

Because the other whippings look original I'm just going to replace the chrome intermediates, especially as it strikes me that having all lined rings would be too heavy for the rod anyway. As for the butt ring, I'm debating whether to swap the 22mm onto the '0' and the 28mm onto the '1' :Confused:

Again, any thoughts on the above, gents?
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Not used all 4 together yet! Designated them 2 x carp - 2 x pike and one stalker!

I will say each one is different - screw winch fitting (hexagonal or round) - tip ring - butt ring - even the colour whippings!

Perhaps when in France - where they are usually spread along 100- 150m of bank - according to the locals!

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

I have one at home and will take a look and post some pics up when I get a minute :Hat:

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Bobthefloat wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:11 pm I have one at home and will take a look and post some pics up when I get a minute :Hat:
Thank you, that will be very helpful :Hat:

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Sorry for the delay
ImageImage
Pictures as promised the butt ring is 30mm outside to outside ( this was measured on the wifes tailors tape sorry my tape is in the van and its pissing down which means it could be 28mm as above) and as you can see lined rings throughout
I have 6 Lrh spinning rods and each one is lined throughout I hope this helps :Hat:
Last edited by Bobthefloat on Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Except the butt ring - ?

Lovely looking '0' series rod!

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”