Hardy rod names and dates

The Hardy Rods forum.
AquasilkPerfection
Minnow

Re: Hardy rod names and dates

Post by AquasilkPerfection »

Whilst perusing that rather interesting listing of Hardy rods posted by Snape my interest was drawn to the Hardy Connoisseur of which I have a 12' version however beneath the listing is a Connoisseur Double Built - would anyone be able to explain the term 'Double Built'.

Incidentally I am also fortunate enough to have an LRH 0 - so there are at least 2 in existence?

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Double built is effectively 2 layers of cane strips.

so they built a small hexagonal section of six strips, then built another layer over the top to give the final taper.

Double building was only done to butt & middle sections, tips were single built.

There are section images in the catalogues and the book the house that hardy built, but they do not show clearly on a scan I tried to add.

AquasilkPerfection
Minnow

Post by AquasilkPerfection »

Thank you for your explanation of Double Building Paul, quite a complex process...

I think I may be having a senior moment here as I have realised that the double built Connoisseur is constructed of split bamboo through it's entire length which would therefore, as you suggest, require the double building to achieve the correct tapers whereas the rod I have is a combination of bamboo/split bamboo.

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

ive just found a hardy 2 piece fly rod 9-6,no g8564 in green heart in great condition which dates it to july 1932, any one know the name of the rod?

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Bobthefloat wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:42 pm
Snape wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:32 pm
Olly wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:25 pm I cannot find the LRH 0 in Hardy rods in Turners Guide either.
Shows how rare it is. Terry might have the only one!
I must say I've never seen another one or met anyone else who owns one. There was one in extremely bad condition about a year ago on the auction site( mine wasn't much better when I first got it) listed as a fly rod. I let it go as it took me so long to find one and thought it would make someone's day.
I know of a third :Wink: There's a post in the Hardy rods section asking for info if you can help please?
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Seem to have it wrong with the Roach Perfection too, serial number on mine dates if to the later half of 1956, they state a Perfection Roach was 1934-1955, name wrong and at least a year out against the rod I have, and no mention of the 10’6” version of the Perfection Roach too

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”