Hardy LRH No2?

The Hardy Rods forum.
Cat
Chub

Re: Hardy LRH No2?

Post by Cat »

Thank you...the problem is actually finding a nice one!

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Keston wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:52 pm
Cat wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:41 pm There's actually one on Bay Watch at the moment, but I'm not convinced the whippings look correct (as in they're red), but I am not an expert.
I'm no expert either but it looks restored and I dont think that butt ring is correct ?
This is a Hardy LRH 2 that I have just finished restoring. I bought it from John Andrews about 10 years ago and it had been rewhipped in those “wonderful” orange and white 1970’s Fuji rings but it was straight and came with the proper bag, stoppers and spanner. The Butt ring just looks a little better although not strictly traditional on this model.

ImageImage
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi,
Lovely...just the sort of thing I'm after. I don't suppose you're looking to sell?
Regards Cat

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Sorry Cat, not at the moment.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Cat, if you have your heart set on an LRH okey dokey - one will turn up - but there are other rods you could look at - you could try putting an ask for appropriate rods in the wanted - looking for section on the forum.
Just an idea. An affordable option and a great rod is a 550 you never know what may turn up for you.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thanks chaps...I'll have a look.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have 3 X 550's - excellent but not up to the job for regularly landing doubles especially high doubles & bigger. Hence my purchase of the LRHs.

That is my personal opinion as the t/c on a 550 is about 1.5lb and - (according to Walker with 5lb line per 1lb t/c) = lines to be approx 8lb.

Remember that they come in different guises - different reel seats eg for a multiplier - different rings - different butt ring - different ferrules - slightly different colour whippings - all due possibly to different dates of manufacture. After all they were made from 1937 to 1978!

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I feel that for occasional use the 550 can cope with big doubles - maybe not as you say regularly Olly - but it may be a better purchase as it has more usage than the LRH which is primarily a bigger fish rod - if there are a large number of 20’s then as Olly says it is only the LRH - I do know some folk who have converted Salmon rods into large Carp rods - another option - I’m trying to get you on the bank after those Carp Cat.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Pike rods can also be useful but most are short - 8ft or so. There are a few 10ft 3 section pike or salmon rods that are suitable - if you can find one.

The LRH also makes an excellent pike spinning/light dead baiting rod as a well as a carp stalker.

There is an LRH No:3 which is even more powerful as it is steel cored - perhaps something for real heavyweight carp/cat fishing!

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

You can pick up some nice no name rods that are more than capable of the job it's just a case of being patient.
I restored this which came in a job lot from the small ads,this is what I use pike dead bait rod. It's 10ft and I would think about 3lb TC.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”