Hardy and Gordons

The Hardy Rods forum.
Deaf Cat
Grayling

Hardy and Gordons

Post by Deaf Cat »

Does anyone have information about the relationship between Hardy's and Gordons that resulted in glass rods such the Matchman and the Matchquest?

The rods are marked

Craftsman built by Gordons
A Hardy product by Hardy's of Alnwick England

So does that mean that Gordons finished Hardy blanks?

Was it a Mitre-Hardy type relationship to dispose of Hardy seconds?
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Watermole+
Chub

Re: Hardy and Gordons

Post by Watermole+ »

I found these references to Gordon designed rods in my Hardy catalogue from 1966, one of the few I kept..! I hope you can read the print OK.

The Wallis rod is interesting because the butt section was tubular glass and not whole cane.

Regards,

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

Super find, thanks.

Any chance that you could email me the original photos? As my signature suggests my eyesight may not be the most acute.

:hat:
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ah. Some provenance for Wallis Avon and Perfection Roach Mark II rods!

Rare as the proverbial rocking horse droppings.

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

So just for the record (please avert you eyes if you are cane only, but these are from the '60s).

Gordon’s
Quality Tubular Fibreglass Rods

From the 1966 Hardy catalogue, courtesy of Watemole+

“These superb match and course fishing rods with exceptional fishing qualities have been blended with traditional Hardy craftsmanship to set entirely new standards in equipment of this type.

Designed by Peter Hoyle and finished to perfection in our new and exciting Polychromatic grey fibreglass.

Tubular fibreglass has now proved itself beyond any measure of doubt to be the outstanding material for the construction of reliable high quality match and course rods – with actions superior to any other known rod making material. Tubular fibreglass rods also have the undoubted advantage of being practically unbreakable and do not develop a ‘set’. They are also extremely light in weight and are not affected by damp or variable climate.”

Rods (summarised)

The Matchquest range of “ferruleless” 3- and 4-piece tubular fibreglass match rods (with ‘built in’ fibreglass ferrules) .

Length 12 ft 13 ft 14 ft
Joints 3 piece 3 piece 4 piece
Handle 24 x 11/8” 26 x 1 3/8” 28 x 1 ½”
Weight 8 oz 10 ½ oz 13 ¾ oz

The Conquest range of tubular fibreglass 3-piece match/bottom rods (with lightweight brass section ferrules). 11, 12 and 13ft.

The Matchman tubular fibreglass 3 piece match rod (with lightly reinforced brass suction ferrules). Supplied with two tops and ‘swing tip’. Length 12ft, length with spare top 11 ½ ft .

The Fenquest tubular fibreglass 2-piece ledger rod. Supplied with detachable nylon ‘swing tip’. Length 9 ½ ft.

The Avonquest tubular fibreglass 2-piece float/ledger rod. Length 10 ft.

The Carpquest tubular fibreglass 2-piece carp rod. Length 10 ft.

And apologies for my suggestion that the Hardy tie up with Gordon’s might have been a way of disposing of their seconds.

:hat:

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Over the weekend (and from two separate sources) I have acquired a 'Matchman' in brown glass which is in reasonably good condition and has its original labelled bag, and an 'Avonquest' in grey glass which is in virtually mint looking condition again with original labelled bag.

Should anyone be interested in either rod they will be on my stall at Redditch this Sunday
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

CaneTincaCatcher
Ruffe

Post by CaneTincaCatcher »

I can remember having the 14' match quest bought for my 12th birthday some 48 years ago now. It was purchased from Lathams of Potter Heigham. At the age of 12 l soon learned to wield the beast and landed many species including some match winning tench catches. Even managing to win 2 consecutive matches from the same swim with 3 tench weighing 9lb 2oz .This certainly caused some raised eyebrows!

EssexMark
Minnow

Post by EssexMark »

I'm very sorry to resurrect a really old thread. I wasnt sure if to do that or post a new thread. Does anyone have a copy of the Hardy Gordons advert as above they could possibly PM please? I now have 4 of these rods and would be good to know breaking strain lines and other classifications for the ones I have. Thank you. Mark

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

Just arrived.
Hardy Gordon's leaflet describing the range of rods.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Good info! Many thanks for posting that up Deaf Cat :Thumb: I've a Conquest in need of a partial rebuild and that's reminded me to get on with it (well look it out at least, and add to the list of jobs still outstanding :surrender: ) :Hat:

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”