Hardy Perfection Roach Rod.

The Hardy Rods forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Hardy Perfection Roach Rod.

Post by Nobby »

I'd presumed this thread title in error....I've only ever heard of the rather clumsily named Perfection Roach.

It's notable that this oft-quoted list mentions it twice:

http://www.upon-bamboo-fly-fishing-rods ... phabetical

And it is known to contain other apparent errors. It's also American or Canadian.

If you look at the images on In the net UK, Adrian calls the rod the RP, but you can clearly see it's actually called the PR.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Due to my chats with Mike Harris I was aware there were both PR and RP rods but apart from the differing guides and handle they are the same. The earlier one in the list shows it as 11" only and the later model as 10' and 11'. Mikes rod has the zip top original bag, but did both versions have that. Even the writing is the same, just roach and perfection reversed.

Either way I'm going to enjoy it :Wink:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I wonder if it was that Hardy had a whole range of 'Perfection' rods, and we're just talking about the one that was meant for roach...hence the name 'Perfection . . . Roach' ?

There was also a Perfection FWK Wallis Nottingham, a Perfection Composite, Two Hand and a Spinning. As well as a Featherweight Perfection.

That might explain the apparently clumsy title.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Maybe the cosmetic differences were just to fit in with the 'perfection' range and no more. As Mike told me, and he was in the trade right back then with Walkers of Hythe and others since and with over 60 years making rods, the manufacturers probably used what they had in stock at the time, and Hardy were no exception. Over such a long production period the small changes add up to a big difference between early and late rods, maybe even the names have been adjusted to fit in with others in their catalogue.

From it's serial number, H8589, it dates from 1956, which puts it in the version that has 10' and 11' rods but i can't find anything else about them, a few other sales site listings over the years but someone has to know somewhere. maybe they just had someone writing the name on wrong even :Wink:

Old-CodJA

Post by Old-CodJA »

I'm sorry that I have resurrected this old thread, but as a result of problems that I am having with carpal tunnel syndrome and muscle cramps associated with another medical condition, I have decided with some reluctance that I shall never get around to doing justice to some of the rods that I have acquired for restoration.

I've done a few and learned a lot along the way, but I have decide that one or two of these unrestored and needing attention examples might be better served by being passed on to more skilled hands than mine.

For that reason I thought I'd let you know that some of you may see a genuine early example of the Roach Perfection Rod, desperately in need of TLC and restoration, pop up on a certain auction site shortly at a sensible starting price. This will be the 1928 vintage example referred to earlier in this thread. Despite all the help this site and Andrew Hall at the Hardy Museum gave, I have never had the courage to strip and start on this one.

I just need to get some decent photographs taken and then it will be listed during the next week or so.

Old-CodJA

Post by Old-CodJA »

Just a quick update. I don't know if the purchaser, a gentleman from Ascot, is a member here, but if so, thank you and I wish you all the very best in restoring the 'Roach Perfection'.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

you can buy modern glass copies (Peter at Oliver's rods), or search ebay for originals taken from old rods, or if you are really lucky someone on the forum may have an odd one laying around

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Most of us usually go to Hopkins and Holloway, or their twin company Guided 'n Blanks for rings:

http://www.hopkinsholloway.co.uk/produc ... tegory/261

However tip and butt rings are a little more difficult if you want historic accuracy.

H&H seem only to have this threaded one, to take a swing-tip, at the moment and although only a little havier than standard tip rings I'm convinced they change the action of a light-tipped rod:

http://www.hopkinsholloway.co.uk/produc ... tegory/256

As to Butt rings, plain, large all-metal rings with no insert are practically impossible to find

The 646 is the closest I think:

Or maybe the larger Diamites:

Early Roach perfections had a small agate-lined eye and these are simply gold dust........

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”